From: Graeme on
In message <1jm9eg5.1qdcrjz1ojnaxaN%italiancar(a)gmail.com>
italiancar(a)gmail.com (SteveH) wrote:

> Graeme <Graeme(a)greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > In message <8b69mnF9jdU1(a)mid.individual.net>
> > Ian McCall <ian(a)eruvia.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Caz's birthday saw her become the owner of a shiny new WiFI 64Gb iPad.
> > > She's very much a fan, but BBC iPlayer doesn't seem to work.
> > >
> > > We've tried Doctor Who and Top Gear, but all that happens is that the
> > > thumbnail comes up but then a 'sorry, this is unavailable' and no play
> > > button appears. This seems to be for every programme we try.
> > >
> > > Anyone else having any luck?
> > >

> > You've not seen all the discussions about the iPad not supporting flash?
>
> There's a non-flash version of the iPlayer site.

There is? hadn't noticed that. All I can find on the site is a blanket
statement that iPlayer requires the lastest version of Flash.

--
Graeme Wall

My genealogy website <www.greywall.demon.co.uk/genealogy/>
From: Ian McCall on
Matthew Sylvester <matthew.sylvester(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Ian McCall <ian(a)eruvia.org> wrote:
>
>> Anyone else having any luck?
>
> Just tried Sherlock - seems fine. Try going to
> <http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/bigscreen/>

Hmm. That's where we were going. I'll ask Caz to try Sherlock and see
what happens, but we couldn't get a single thing to play last night.

Cheers,
Ian
From: Chris Ridd on
On 2010-07-27 07:56:20 +0100, Graeme said:

> In message <1jm9eg5.1qdcrjz1ojnaxaN%italiancar(a)gmail.com>
> italiancar(a)gmail.com (SteveH) wrote:
>
>> Graeme <Graeme(a)greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>> You've not seen all the discussions about the iPad not supporting flash?
>>
>> There's a non-flash version of the iPlayer site.
>
> There is? hadn't noticed that. All I can find on the site is a blanket
> statement that iPlayer requires the lastest version of Flash.

Yes and no. The back-end SD programs are just H.264 streams. They *do*
require the latest, or at least quite recent, version of Flash to play
*but* they can also be accessed as H.264-encoded MPEG files that will
play on other things like iPhones, iPads. Same video content, different
wrapper format. The iPlayer downloader type apps fool the iPlayer
website into letting them access the MPEG files...

The HD programs on iPlayer are different.
--
Chris

From: Mark on
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 07:56:20 +0100, Graeme wrote
(in article <f69d443d51%Graeme(a)greywall.demon.co.uk>):

> In message <1jm9eg5.1qdcrjz1ojnaxaN%italiancar(a)gmail.com>
> italiancar(a)gmail.com (SteveH) wrote:
>
>> Graeme <Graeme(a)greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>> You've not seen all the discussions about the iPad not supporting flash?
>>
>> There's a non-flash version of the iPlayer site.
>
> There is? hadn't noticed that. All I can find on the site is a blanket
> statement that iPlayer requires the lastest version of Flash.

Dunno if there's a separate player, but via <www.bbc.co,uk/mobile/iplayer/>
it seems to be just a case of "some things'll play, some things won't".

Fopr instance, Eastenders or The Importance Of Being Ernest won't play, but
Sherlock or Who Do You Think You Are? play fine.

Cheers ... Mark

From: ray on
Chris Ridd <chrisridd(a)mac.com> wrote:

> On 2010-07-27 07:56:20 +0100, Graeme said:
>
> > In message <1jm9eg5.1qdcrjz1ojnaxaN%italiancar(a)gmail.com>
> > italiancar(a)gmail.com (SteveH) wrote:

> >> There's a non-flash version of the iPlayer site.
> >
> > There is? hadn't noticed that. All I can find on the site is a blanket
> > statement that iPlayer requires the lastest version of Flash.
>
> Yes and no. The back-end SD programs are just H.264 streams. They *do*
> require the latest, or at least quite recent, version of Flash to play
> *but* they can also be accessed as H.264-encoded MPEG files that will
> play on other things like iPhones, iPads. Same video content, different
> wrapper format. The iPlayer downloader type apps fool the iPlayer
> website into letting them access the MPEG files...
>
> The HD programs on iPlayer are different.

Same principle as XBMC and Plex which also don't have Flash and access
the MPEG streams directly.
--
http://www.dream-weaver.com/email.php
Web development promotion and seo