From: Graeme on
In message <8b7qqqFe7sU1(a)mid.individual.net>
Chris Ridd <chrisridd(a)mac.com> wrote:

> On 2010-07-27 10:44:46 +0100, Graeme said:
>
> > In message <eac84e3d51%Graeme(a)greywall.demon.co.uk>
> > Graeme <Graeme(a)greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> >> Looked at it again and it says intel /reccomended/ so I've installed
> >> iplayer desktop and it's now downloading Ian Hislop Goes off the Rails,
> >> trouble is it appears to download in real time so I'll let you know if it
> >> works in an hour or so :-(
> >>

> > OK 50 minutes later I've got an MP4 hidden deep in an iplayer folder
> > structure in Movies, now transferring to the iPad.
> >
> > <whistles tunelessly while iPad syncs...>
> >
> > Hmm, I've tried adding the Movie to iTunes Library but nothing seems to
> > happen.
> >
> > Nope, no luck, ah well.
>
> The download doesn't normally happen in real time, maybe something else
> is wrong. I use iPlayer Grabber FWIW, and it has taken about 2 minutes
> to download Sunday's Top Gear.

It was about 45 minutes in the end for a 1 hour programme. But having
downloaded it to the G4 I can't get it on the iPad. I get a folder in Movies
labelled BBC iPlayer, the repository which contains 2 folders b00drtmd and
cache.

The former has the following files:

b00drtmd
b00drtmd_hi_165044410.mp4 (I assume this is the actual programme)
b00drtpj_640_360.jpg (this is the pic used in the list of programmes)
bbc_four (this appears to be the DRM code that expires the programme)
pl_b00drtmd (playlist information)

cache has 1 file

bbc_four.mp4 (BBC four 'library' ident - plays perfectly in QT)

Note, trying to run the programme itself in Quicktime brings up an error
message: An invalid sample description was found in the movie.

--
Graeme Wall

My genealogy website <www.greywall.demon.co.uk/genealogy/>
From: Ian McCall on
Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:

> Depending on who your ISP is that might have been more down to their
> traffic management.

Virgin, but we're on the 50Mb service which is allegedly unthrottled
(and has been fine for us so far).

Cheers,
Ian
From: Danny T on
Ian McCall <ian(a)eruvia.org> wrote:

> Hmm. That's where we were going. I'll ask Caz to try Sherlock and see
> what happens, but we couldn't get a single thing to play last night.

iPlayer usually works fine here on iPad, iPhone and iMac despite a slow
rural broadband connection.

Last night however we had the same problems as you with the iPad. We
also had difficulties connecting to the BBC news website.

There were quite a few people on Twitter complaining of similar
experiences.

--
Danny T
First  |  Prev  |