From: Jim Adamthwaite on
Dik Voorthuis wrote:

> Yes, it is a bad idea to have spaces in directory names, or in
> filenames. Gives a lot of problems.
> BTW, I don't know any Linux program that defaults to this.
>
> DV.

I downloaded some packages a week or more ago. Problem is I can't remember
what I was using to do it with. I was trying to avoid repeated download of
YOU patches by saving rpm's to <home>/downloads. However, they always went
into <home>/My Downloads. If I deleted 'My Downloads' dir it would be
re-created automagically.

The problems manifested themselves when I tried to YAST the packages in that
directory.

I guess that underlying YAST is a lot of command-line type calls to 'cp',
'mv', 'mkdir' etc., and that these have trouble because they use argc,argv
parameter list scanning, which gets fooled by spaces.

Jim A.
From: Dik Voorthuis on
Jim Adamthwaite wrote:

> I downloaded some packages a week or more ago. Problem is I can't
> remember
> what I was using to do it with. I was trying to avoid repeated
> download of
> YOU patches by saving rpm's to <home>/downloads.

YOU saves the downloaded RPM's somewhere deep inside /var:
/var/lib/YaST2/you/mnt/i386/update/9.3/rpm/
If you uncheck the 'remove source-packages after update' checkbox in
YOU, then they stay there.
To avoid repeated downloads, I ususally update one machine, then copy
these RPM's to the same location on other machines on the network via
NFS, before updating those.
This can probably be automated with rsync, however I never took the time
to set it up that way.

> However, they always
> went
> into <home>/My Downloads. If I deleted 'My Downloads' dir it would be
> re-created automagically.

Strange, looks like a M$ thing. Did you download with a Windows program?
I never had a 'My Documents' in my home directory.

> The problems manifested themselves when I tried to YAST the packages
> in that directory.
>
> I guess that underlying YAST is a lot of command-line type calls to
> 'cp', 'mv', 'mkdir' etc., and that these have trouble because they use
> argc,argv parameter list scanning, which gets fooled by spaces.

Probably, yes,

DV.

From: Jim Adamthwaite on
Dik Voorthuis wrote:

>> into <home>/My Downloads. If I deleted 'My Downloads' dir it would be
>> re-created automagically.
>
> Strange, looks like a M$ thing. Did you download with a Windows program?
> I never had a 'My Documents' in my home directory.

As released v9.3 creates a 'Documents' (no space) directory, but Firefox or
Konqueror (can't remember which now, it's been a while) defaulted to
"<home>./My Documents" for saves, until I found & fixed it.

Jim A.