From: Charlie on
I've got SuSe 10 installed on an x86_64 machine. I've got Mplayer
installed, w32codec_all installed, and the 32 bit mplayer browser plugin.
For the most part, mplayer works fine - it plays many wmv's, all mpg's,
all avi's, and many asf files just fine. It works as a plugin in firefox
as well for most things. However for some wmvs, some asfs, and the
streaming video on cnn.com I get audio but no video. How can I get video
as well as audio for these files? Is there a missing codec or something?

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Charlie.
From: Chris Wilkinson on
Hi there,

Charlie wrote:
> I've got SuSe 10 installed on an x86_64 machine. I've got Mplayer
> installed, w32codec_all installed, and the 32 bit mplayer browser plugin.
> For the most part, mplayer works fine - it plays many wmv's, all mpg's,
> all avi's, and many asf files just fine. It works as a plugin in firefox
> as well for most things. However for some wmvs, some asfs, and the
> streaming video on cnn.com I get audio but no video. How can I get video
> as well as audio for these files? Is there a missing codec or something?

No missing codec, just WMV9 video format in the wmv file. xine and
mplayer can handle WMV7/8 format, but not WMV9 (or WMV3 as it is
called sometimes)...MS are not going to allow free software authors
info as to how to play such files, so unless someone cracks the codec
we cannot view the video content of those...

I'd love to see a legal precedent set whereby people who upload videos
to the net are required to do so in an open format so everyone can see
them. It amuses me that people upload videos that are free to download,
but encoded with a non-free codec...these people are being hypocrits
and they don't even realise it...

Microsoft must burn...

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

From: Charlie on
On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 13:31:42 +1000, Chris Wilkinson wrote:

> No missing codec, just WMV9 video format in the wmv file. xine and
> mplayer can handle WMV7/8 format, but not WMV9 (or WMV3 as it is
> called sometimes)...MS are not going to allow free software authors
> info as to how to play such files, so unless someone cracks the codec
> we cannot view the video content of those...
>
> I'd love to see a legal precedent set whereby people who upload videos
> to the net are required to do so in an open format so everyone can see
> them. It amuses me that people upload videos that are free to download,
> but encoded with a non-free codec...these people are being hypocrits
> and they don't even realise it...
>
> Microsoft must burn...

Ridiculous! Typical of Microsoft. Is it possible to use the actual Windows
codec?

From: Charles philip Chan on
On 18 Oct 2005, blobster(a)spamoff.con wrote:

> No missing codec, just WMV9 video format in the wmv file. xine and
> mplayer can handle WMV7/8 format, but not WMV9 (or WMV3 as it is
> called sometimes)...

This is untrue, both mplayer and xine can handle wmv9 by using the
wmv9dmod.dll through the win32 dmo codec loader. Here is part of my
mplayer codecs.conf:

,----[ Excerpt from codecs.conf ]
| videocodec wmv9dmo
| info "Windows Media Video 9 DMO"
| status working
| fourcc WMV3
| fourcc WMVP
| driver dmo
| dll "wmv9dmod.dll"
| guid 0x724bb6a4, 0xe526, 0x450f, 0xaf, 0xfa, 0xab, 0x9b, 0x45, 0x12, 0x91, 0x11
| out YV12 ;,I420,IYUV
| out YUY2,UYVY
| ; out BGR32,BGR24,BGR16 ;,BGR15
`----

YMMV though since my mplayer, ffmpeg and lib-xine are from CVS. My
codecs packages are the pristine ones from the mplayer site.

IMHO, the reason why Charlie can't play those video is because of
DRM. Charlie, can you provide me with a link to a non-working video?

Charles

--
printk ("Kicking board.\n");
linux-2.6.6/drivers/net/lp486e.c
From: Charlie on
On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 15:44:51 -0400, Charles philip Chan wrote:

> IMHO, the reason why Charlie can't play those video is because of
> DRM. Charlie, can you provide me with a link to a non-working video?

Try anything on CNN.com. Right now I'm listening to
mms://wmscnn.stream.aol.com/cnn/us/2005/10/19/jeras.explains.wilma.cnn.ws.wmv.
It's supposedly a video stream, but I get only audio.