From: philo on
Darklight wrote:
> philo wrote:
>
>> ray wrote:

>>> Have you considered running off the Live CD - that would certainly
>>> eliminate the power off scenario. BTW - what happens when they do that to
>>> their MS machines (rhetorical question)?
>>

>> I've considered a live cd as that's pretty fool proof..
>> but the initial startup asks a few questions...
>> though simple enough...would baffle the users.
>>

>> I am a bit puzzled why DSL with ext3 does not survive a bad shut down...
>> the more full Linux distros can handle that fine.
>
> can a p11 handle that file system can a p11 handle a ntfs file system.

Yes

the P-II has no problem with ext3 or NTFS (It had win2k on it originally)

I went with Vector Linux 6 and rfs and all is working well now
From: philo on
David W. Hodgins wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 11:34:49 -0500, philo <philo(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> I am a bit puzzled why DSL with ext3 does not survive a bad shut down...
>> the more full Linux distros can handle that fine.
>
> Try turning off the hard drive write caching. I do, and notice very
> little difference in performance during normal usage, and haven't
> had any problems restarting after a power failure since I turned
> it off. I did have problems with ext3, xfs, and reiserfs, prior
> to that.
>
> $ grep hdparm /etc/rc.d/rc.local
> hdparm -W 0 /dev/sda
> hdparm -W 0 /dev/sdb
>
> Regards, Dave Hodgins

I will look into that

thank you for supplying the exact info I was looking for
From: Moe Trin on
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux, in article
<7s37vcFfekU1(a)mid.individual.net>, J.O. Aho wrote:

>philo wrote:

>> I've tried Damn Small Linux and it does the job...
>> except it did not survive an important test:
>> What happens if someone turns the power switch off while the
>> machine is running?

>> Even if using ext3 (rather than ext2) the system
>> fails to boot and fsck must be run manually.

Wonder why - write cache?

>There are other file systems to use, I do recommend reiserfs (version
>3.6),

Is anyone supporting/maintaining that?

>which has been the most crash resistant file system I have used.

Try iso9660 - it's even better. Mounting a conventional file system
'read-only' and 'noatime' may also be a simple solution.

Old guy
From: J G Miller on
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 14:06:09 -0600, philo wrote:

> I have Vector Linux running fine using rfs
>
> the problem I was having was with Damn Small Linux and ext3

So what happens if the power to the machine gets switched off
before it has been shutdown cleanly?

From: philo on
J G Miller wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 14:06:09 -0600, philo wrote:
>
>> I have Vector Linux running fine using rfs
>>
>> the problem I was having was with Damn Small Linux and ext3
>
> So what happens if the power to the machine gets switched off
> before it has been shutdown cleanly?

tested many times:

what happens is the machine fails to boot

I need to manually run fsck to repair the file system

in not all cases is the repair successfully completed.

Moot point now as I am now installing Vector Linux on the last machine I
need to setup for now