From: philo on
Moe Trin wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Jan 2010, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux, in article
> <7s37vcFfekU1(a)mid.individual.net>, J.O. Aho wrote:
>
>> philo wrote:
>
>>> I've tried Damn Small Linux and it does the job...
>>> except it did not survive an important test:
>>> What happens if someone turns the power switch off while the
>>> machine is running?
>
>>> Even if using ext3 (rather than ext2) the system
>>> fails to boot and fsck must be run manually.
>
> Wonder why - write cache?
>
>> There are other file systems to use, I do recommend reiserfs (version
>> 3.6),
>
> Is anyone supporting/maintaining that?
>
>> which has been the most crash resistant file system I have used.
>
> Try iso9660 - it's even better. Mounting a conventional file system
> 'read-only' and 'noatime' may also be a simple solution.
>
> Old guy

I gave up on DSL as Vector Linux 6 is doing a good job.

I have quite a few 3 and 4 gig HD's and they will work fine
From: J G Miller on
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 15:23:28 -0600, philo wrote:

> I need to manually run fsck to repair the file system
>

> in not all cases is the repair successfully completed.
>

> Moot point now as I am now installing Vector Linux on the last machine I
> need to setup for now

So are you saying you had to run fsck manually under DSL and now
under Vector Linux you have to run reiserfsck manually as well?
From: Grant on
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 14:56:16 -0600, ibuprofin(a)painkiller.example.tld.invalid (Moe Trin) wrote:

>On Sun, 24 Jan 2010, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux, in article
><7s37vcFfekU1(a)mid.individual.net>, J.O. Aho wrote:
>
>>philo wrote:
>
>>> I've tried Damn Small Linux and it does the job...
>>> except it did not survive an important test:
>>> What happens if someone turns the power switch off while the
>>> machine is running?
>
>>> Even if using ext3 (rather than ext2) the system
>>> fails to boot and fsck must be run manually.
>
>Wonder why - write cache?
>
>>There are other file systems to use, I do recommend reiserfs (version
>>3.6),
>
>Is anyone supporting/maintaining that?

It's being supported in the kernel, they're doing more locking stuff
(remove BKL) on reiserfs3 for 2.6.33. I still prefer reiserfs3 for
unexpected power fail performance, auto-replay on mount, none of the
fsck nonsense ext3 wants ;) Though I doubt reiserfs4 will fly.

>>which has been the most crash resistant file system I have used.
>
>Try iso9660 - it's even better. Mounting a conventional file system
>'read-only' and 'noatime' may also be a simple solution.

I agree, for a kiosk style web browser box -- simply hit the reset
button to reboot after crash. Opera has kiosk mode.

Grant.
--
http://bugs.id.au
From: philo on
J G Miller wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 15:23:28 -0600, philo wrote:
>

>> I need to manually run fsck to repair the file system
>>

>> in not all cases is the repair successfully completed.
>>

>> Moot point now as I am now installing Vector Linux on the last machine I
>> need to setup for now
>
> So are you saying you had to run fsck manually under DSL and now
> under Vector Linux you have to run reiserfsck manually as well?

No

Vector Linux using rfs has given me no problems at all.

since it's a more full distribution that DSL it's a better option

I now have two machines up and running.

From: Jasen Betts on
On 2010-01-24, philo <philo(a)privacy.net> wrote:

>> Have you considered running off the Live CD - that would certainly
>> eliminate the power off scenario. BTW - what happens when they do that to
>> their MS machines (rhetorical question)?
>
> I've considered a live cd as that's pretty fool proof..
> but the initial startup asks a few questions...
> though simple enough...would baffle the users.

make your own CD with no questions.