From: John Hasler on
J G Miller writes:
> Dial-up with a serial modem and PPP is one possibility.
> An X.25 card and a leased line is another possibility ;)

A seperate modem and line for each computer? And yet a LAN is out of
the question?
--
John Hasler
jhasler(a)newsguy.com
From: J G Miller on
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 11:05:06 -0600, John Hasler wrote:

> A seperate modem and line for each computer? And yet a LAN is out of
> the question?

Did Philo indicate that all of the computers were going to be located
in the same room or even the same building?

Anyways, my answer was only meant as a possibility, not necessarily a
practical and feasible reality.
From: John Hasler on

J G Miller writes:
> Did Philo indicate that all of the computers were going to be located
> in the same room or even the same building?

IIRC he said they would all be in the same four-story building.

> Anyways, my answer was only meant as a possibility, not necessarily a
> practical and feasible reality.

I was primarily expressing bafflement at his requirements.
--
John Hasler
jhasler(a)newsguy.com
From: philo on
John Hasler wrote:
> I wrote:
>> A seperate modem and line for each computer? And yet a LAN is out of
>> the question?
>
> J G Miller writes:
>> Did Philo indicate that all of the computers were going to be located
>> in the same room or even the same building?
>
> IIRC he said they would all be in the same four-story building.
>
>> Anyways, my answer was only meant as a possibility, not necessarily a
>> practical and feasible reality.
>
> I was primarily expressing bafflement at his requirements.

The building is wired for DSL.
Each telephone has a DSL outlet.

It would be close to impossible to run a LAN from a server
out to the remote computers

Total moot point as I have the problem solved when I found a suitable
Linux distro. Vector Linux did a nice job...now it's wait and see as to
how the users get onwith it
From: John Hasler on
philo writes:
> The building is wired for DSL.

What does that mean? DSL uses ordinary telephone wiring.

> Each telephone has a DSL outlet.

What is a "DSL outlet"? My DSL modem plugs into an ordinary RJ11.
--
John Hasler
jhasler(a)newsguy.com