From: Baron on
John Hasler Inscribed thus:

> philo writes:
>> The building is wired for DSL.
>
> What does that mean? DSL uses ordinary telephone wiring.
>
>> Each telephone has a DSL outlet.
>
> What is a "DSL outlet"? My DSL modem plugs into an ordinary RJ11.

What he means is that he has a whole house filter which allows separate
wiring for the DSL and phone signals.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: John Hasler on
Baron writes:
> What he means is that he has a whole house filter which allows
> separate wiring for the DSL and phone signals.

Ah. So he just has dual phone wiring. He's going to find that setup
very limiting.
--
John Hasler
jhasler(a)newsguy.com
From: philo on
John Hasler wrote:
> Baron writes:
>> What he means is that he has a whole house filter which allows
>> separate wiring for the DSL and phone signals.
>
> Ah. So he just has dual phone wiring. He's going to find that setup
> very limiting.

Nope

works perfectly

the whole system was just upgraded recently
From: Allodoxaphobia on
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 21:03:35 +0000, Baron wrote:
> John Hasler Inscribed thus:
>
>> philo writes:
>>> The building is wired for DSL.
>>
>> What does that mean? DSL uses ordinary telephone wiring.
>>
>>> Each telephone has a DSL outlet.
>>
>> What is a "DSL outlet"? My DSL modem plugs into an ordinary RJ11.
>
> What he means is that he has a whole house filter which allows separate
> wiring for the DSL and phone signals.

Ya, but.
How do you put more than _one_ DSL modem on a phone line?
AFAIK, only one DSL modem can talk to the DSLAM back at the telco
exchange.

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux