From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Leythos" <void(a)nowhere.lan>

>> Actually...
>>
>> The MAY contain any or all of these. It all depends on makes and models.
>> For example the Estwll 327W is both a DSL modem in Bridge mode and a DSL Modem/Router
>> when placed in Router mode.
|
| That would make it more than a NAT Router then :)
|
| --
|
| spam999free(a)rrohio.com
| remove 999 in order to email me

Well Westell is known for making DSL modems. The product lines are morphing and
assimilating.

It is the Borgs ! ;-)

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "CJT" <abujlehc(a)prodigy.net>

>> I agree. Greater versitility and no single point of failure.
>>
| No single point of failure? How so?

If the Router+modem goes both are dead. If you separate products and the Router dies, you
can still connect at least one PC to the modem.

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "CJT" <abujlehc(a)prodigy.net>

| So then the modem is a single point of failure.
|
| --
| The e-mail address in our reply-to line is reversed in an attempt to
| minimize spam. Our true address is of the form che...(a)prodigy.net.

Well there is always a weak link in any chain. It is admittedly a weak argument but the
versatility argument isn't.

My father has a Westell 2200 ADSL modem+Router but it is in Bridge Mode and he's using a
Linksys BEFSR41 v3 Router.

I have a White Westell (modem only and have had it for over 5.5 years w/o any failures) and
use a Linksys BEFSR81 v1 Router.

From: Volker Birk on
In comp.security.firewalls jameshanley39(a)yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> The NAT device/home router, would still have an IP address, so it
> wouldn't be a switch.

Most of the managed switches I'm using have an IP address.

> The home router would still respond to an ARP request - for its MAC
> address, given its IP address. A switch would not do that.

Most of the managed switches I'm using are doing that.

And for what I can see, most SOHO routers will do just switching
and are managable, if you switch of routing functionality.

Yours,
VB.
deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".
Harald Schmidt zum "Weltjugendtag"
From: Volker Birk on
David H. Lipman <DLipman~nospam~@verizon.net> wrote:
[No single point of failure]
> | So then the modem is a single point of failure.
> Well there is always a weak link in any chain.

No. Just buy two modems.