From: jrefactors on
What's the differences between

router contains a built-in switch
and
router without a built-in switch??

Some routers even have built-in firewall.

I saw many routers in the market has built-in switch, but I don't know
why, and what's the advantages?

please advise. thanks!!

From: Duane Arnold on

<jrefactors(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What's the differences between
>
> router contains a built-in switch
> and
> router without a built-in switch??

A router with a built-in switch works on the same principles as a standalone
switch. A router with a built in switch can be configured to just be a
switch and not a router by disabling the DHCP server on the router and then
it's just a standalone switch.

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-hubs-and-switches.asp

I don't know about routers without a built-in switch.

> Some routers even have built-in firewall.

Some routers use a packet filter FW solution like SPI some don't and some
routers use more than SPI a more powerful packet filter.

Most NAT routers for home usage fall into the category of the link below.

About firewalls

http://www.more.net/technical/netserv/tcpip/firewalls/

What does a computer, router or appliance running a network/Internet FW do?

http://www.firewall-software.com/firewall_faqs/what_does_firewall_do.html

> I saw many routers in the market has built-in switch, but I don't know
> why, and what's the advantages?

see link above about hubs and switches

Duane :)

From: Volker Birk on
In comp.security.firewalls jrefactors(a)hotmail.com wrote:
> What's the differences between
> router contains a built-in switch
> and
> router without a built-in switch??

If routers are also switches, then they're offering both of these two
functionalities:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Router
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_switch

A router works layer 3, a switch works layer 2 in the OSI reference
model, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model#Description_of_layers

> Some routers even have built-in firewall.

That usually means, that the devices have some extra filtering
functionality.

Yours,
VB.
deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".
Harald Schmidt zum "Weltjugendtag"
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Duane Arnold" <Notme(a)Notme.com>

| <jrefactors(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> What's the differences between
>>
>> router contains a built-in switch
>> and
>> router without a built-in switch??
|
| A router with a built-in switch works on the same principles as a standalone
| switch. A router with a built in switch can be configured to just be a
| switch and not a router by disabling the DHCP server on the router and then
| it's just a standalone switch.
|
| http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-hubs-and-switches.asp
|
| I don't know about routers without a built-in switch.
|
>> Some routers even have built-in firewall.
|
| Some routers use a packet filter FW solution like SPI some don't and some
| routers use more than SPI a more powerful packet filter.
|
| Most NAT routers for home usage fall into the category of the link below.
|
| http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-NAT.asp
|
| About firewalls
|
| http://www.more.net/technical/netserv/tcpip/firewalls/
|
| What does a computer, router or appliance running a network/Internet FW do?
|
| http://www.firewall-software.com/firewall_faqs/what_does_firewall_do.html
|
>> I saw many routers in the market has built-in switch, but I don't know
>> why, and what's the advantages?
|
| see link above about hubs and switches
|
| Duane :)

Duane:

Disabling DHCP on a Router with an E-Switch is often insufficient. uPnP would also have to
be disabled. There have been posts about this here, in dcom.modems.cable and dcom.xdsl.
Disabling the Router part will depend upon the vendor and model Router+E-switch.

One last point. SOHO Router's with built-in E-switches tend to have high switching
latencies. Thus their cheap price. This may or may not be a problem in a SOHO environment.
For those that need excellent transfer rates between LAN nodes, they may choose to get a
Router without an E-switch and get a managed E-switch from; Foundry, Nortel, 3Com, CISCO,
etc.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

From: Duane Arnold on

> From: "Duane Arnold" <Notme(a)Notme.com>
>

> | <jrefactors(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> What's the differences between
>>>
>>> router contains a built-in switch
>>> and
>>> router without a built-in switch??
> |
> | A router with a built-in switch works on the same principles as a
> standalone
> | switch. A router with a built in switch can be configured to just be a
> | switch and not a router by disabling the DHCP server on the router and
> then
> | it's just a standalone switch.
> |
> | http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-hubs-and-switches.asp
> |
> | I don't know about routers without a built-in switch.
> |
>>> Some routers even have built-in firewall.
> |
> | Some routers use a packet filter FW solution like SPI some don't and
> some
> | routers use more than SPI a more powerful packet filter.
> |
> | Most NAT routers for home usage fall into the category of the link
> below.
> |
> | http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-NAT.asp
> |
> | About firewalls
> |
> | http://www.more.net/technical/netserv/tcpip/firewalls/
> |
> | What does a computer, router or appliance running a network/Internet FW
> do?
> |

> http://www.firewall-software.com/firewall_faqs/what_does_firewall_do.html
> |
>>> I saw many routers in the market has built-in switch, but I don't know
>>> why, and what's the advantages?
> |
> | see link above about hubs and switches
> |
> | Duane :)
> |

> Duane:
>
> Disabling DHCP on a Router with an E-Switch is often insufficient. uPnP
> would also have to
> be disabled. There have been posts about this here, in dcom.modems.cable
> and dcom.xdsl.
> Disabling the Router part will depend upon the vendor and model
> Router+E-switch.

OK, I'll go with the uPuP thing, but most of the time that's disabled by
default is it not? It's been awhile since I last looked at a router for home
usage.

> One last point. SOHO Router's with built-in E-switches tend to have high
> switching
> latencies. Thus their cheap price. This may or may not be a problem in a
> SOHO environment.
> For those that need excellent transfer rates between LAN nodes, they may
> choose to get a
> Router without an E-switch and get a managed E-switch from; Foundry,
> Nortel, 3Com, CISCO,
> etc.

But for the average home user network where a router was converted into a
switch to plug into a gateway router of FW appliance, I don't think it's
much of a concern. I did that with the Linksys BEFW11S4 v1 router and for
wired or wireless machines using it as a switch, I didn't notice anything.
It was business as usual.

Duane :)