From: Jose on
On Dec 27, 2:40 pm, "Cindy" <c...(a)suddenlink.net> wrote:
> I am using XP 5.1 with service pack 3 - outlook  express 6.
>  I am using  AVG 9.0 - Adware 8.1, spybot and spyware blaster.
>  I could use some advice please -  should I remove all of these programs, or
> some of these programs and install Microsoft's Security essentials (MSE).  I
> have researched on the computer and see good comments about MSE.
>   IF I do take off the programs I have and install MSE do I also need
> Microsoft Defender.
>   Thank you in advance for your help.
>      Cindy

MS is not in the malicious software detection/removal business. MSE
is their "answer" to including at least something resembling a AV
product with Windows to the "Why doesn't Microsoft have a AV product?"
question.

If you see good comments, they are from people that for some reason
really trust MS to provide them a good computing experience.

Just because the AV product comes from MS doesn't make it good. The
manufacturing of malicious software tools is not their job. You
should stick with malicious software products that come from companies
where that is all they do.

MSE only "cares" about 3498 files that are important to MS and does
not detect laughably simple things that other scanning softwares take
in stride (somebody where AV IS their business). It is so easy to
fool - and even the simplest things go undetected.

MSE prefers to add programs and processes to your system consuming
resources (CPU cycles and memory) that could certainly best be spent
on more enjoyable things.

However, MSE claims to be green, therefore it is automatically good -
it has the green word. I don't want something green protecting my
system. I want something mean and ruthless.

MSE is not even anywhere on my list of "tools" to use on a system
where their might be or could be malicious software.

The "right" tool depends on the protection you need and your Internet
habits. There is no "best" single tool. You need to find maybe 2 or 3
that are right for your environment and stick with them.

It is also possible to overprotect your system to the point it suffers
from too much protection software.

From: dadiOH on
Jose wrote:

> However, MSE claims to be green, therefore it is automatically good -
> it has the green word. I don't want something green protecting my
> system. I want something mean and ruthless.

LOL. Yep... big, hairy and with long fangs dripping blood :)

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

From: Unknown on
Can you base your HUMBLE? opinion on facts or are you over emotional on
hearsay?

From: Unknown on
There is absolutely no harm in downloading and installing it. You can leave
it run if you choose or
just run it when you want. Microsoft doing spying is merely a comment from
someone without expertise
or very emotional, and has no basis of fact whatsoever. I think you'll like
MSE.

From: thanatoid on
"Cindy" <cinb(a)suddenlink.net> wrote in

<SNIP>

> I would have appreciated some suggestions on what programs
> to use

You have all you need except you did not mention a firewall. I
said use any FW you want EXCEPT the one that comes with Windows.
You might have to try 2 or 3 to find the one YOU really like,
but that's the typical way these things happen.

Clearer now?