From: Cindy on
I am using XP 5.1 with service pack 3 - outlook express 6.
I am using AVG 9.0 - Adware 8.1, spybot and spyware blaster.
I could use some advice please - should I remove all of these programs, or
some of these programs and install Microsoft's Security essentials (MSE). I
have researched on the computer and see good comments about MSE.
IF I do take off the programs I have and install MSE do I also need
Microsoft Defender.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Cindy

From: DL on
Already answered, please dont multi post

From: thanatoid on
"Cindy" <cinb(a)suddenlink.net> wrote in

> I am using XP 5.1 with service pack 3 - outlook express 6.
> I am using AVG 9.0 - Adware 8.1, spybot and spyware
> blaster. I could use some advice please - should I remove
> all of these programs, or
> some of these programs and install Microsoft's Security
> essentials (MSE). I have researched on the computer and
> see good comments about MSE.
> IF I do take off the programs I have and install MSE do I
> also need
> Microsoft Defender.
> Thank you in advance for your help.
> Cindy

Is this a joke? MS does more spying on your computer than anyone
else, especially since XP. I would not trust ANY "security"
programs from them a billionth of a millimeter and IMHO anyone
who uses them is insane.

I trust you also use a **NON-MS** firewall.

If you use the MS one, disable it and get a real one, plenty to
choose from. Then you'll have pretty much have covered all the
bases, within reason.

One could have twenty security programs, but really, /thinking/
while on-line and checking the addresses you end up at
(willingly or not) and never running any exe's (disguised or
not) while online is what matters. I don't even have my AV on
when I'm online, I only scan everything I DL'd afterwards, and I
have never gotten any malware.
From: Cindy on

>> I am using XP 5.1 with service pack 3 - outlook express 6.
>> I am using AVG 9.0 - Adware 8.1, spybot and spyware
>> blaster. I could use some advice please - should I remove
>> all of these programs, or
>> some of these programs and install Microsoft's Security
>> essentials (MSE). I have researched on the computer and
>> see good comments about MSE.
>> IF I do take off the programs I have and install MSE do I
>> also need
>> Microsoft Defender.
>> Thank you in advance for your help.
>> Cindy
>
> Is this a joke? ----------- No....I am trying to find the 'best' security
> system I can.... I am using the free version of the 4 programs mentioned
> above. And yes I do know that some of the above programs you pay for and
> some of them are free.
Isn't this group called - Help and support? - Since I do not
really have anyone to ask that is more knowlegable than me I thought I would
ask on the newsgroup. Everyone here has always been very helpful, and
certaintly knows more than I do.

MS does more spying on your computer than anyone. -------------- Why
would you say that?
> else, especially since XP. I would not trust ANY "security"
> programs from them a billionth of a millimeter and IMHO anyone
> who uses them is insane.
>
> I trust you also use a **NON-MS** firewall. -------------- Yes, I am
> using Microsoft's firewall.
>
> If you use the MS one, disable it and get a real one,????? -------------
> What does that mean? Which one would you suggest I use if not MS? Should
> I keep what I am using? I am not having any problems, just wanted to be
> sure I was using good programs and do not want to have too many that they
> conflict with each other.

> One could have twenty security programs, -----------NO.....I don't think
> anyone would use 20 security programs.

I would have appreciated some suggestions on what programs to use
Thank you,

From: Bruce Hagen on

>>> I am using XP 5.1 with service pack 3 - outlook express 6.
>>> I am using AVG 9.0 - Adware 8.1, spybot and spyware
>>> blaster. I could use some advice please - should I remove
>>> all of these programs, or
>>> some of these programs and install Microsoft's Security
>>> essentials (MSE). I have researched on the computer and
>>> see good comments about MSE.
>>> IF I do take off the programs I have and install MSE do I
>>> also need
>>> Microsoft Defender.
>>> Thank you in advance for your help.
>>> Cindy
>

> I would have appreciated some suggestions on what programs to use
> Thank you,

Much of your question is based on preference. All I can do is tell you
what I am doing.

I was using Avast & Windows Defender. There is nothing wrong with this
combo IMHO, but a few months ago, I removed Avast and installed MSE
(Microsoft Security Essentials). This is an AV program with Windows
Defender included. Depending on your OS, it will either remove, or disable
your current Windows Defender program and let MSE take over.

You can keep, and I would keep, SpywareBlaster. I would also recommend
this program. It does not run in the background, but is a good tool to run
on occasion, especially if you thing you may be infested.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.40
http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

You can keep AdAware and SpyBot if you wish. I don't think they are really
a necessity if you have the above as they were a while ago.

While I am an MS MVP, I must add that I am in no way an advocate for MS
and feel the same pain as most posters do. That said, I believe MSE /is/ a
reliable program and can assure you that MS does /not/ gather any info
from you by using it.

The final decision is up to you.
--
Bruce Hagen