From: Bobby Johnson on
Do you know which sound chip you have on your board? According to Intel
it can be one of three and that you should obtain the respective driver
for that chip.

See info @
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-020642.htm#version

I think Windows 7 drivers can be found for all three chips.

From: Bobby Johnson on
You can also try the identification utility @
http://www.intel.com/support/detect.htm

From: Drew on
although I appreciate all the responses from both Carlos and Bobby, I have
checked all you suggested before I posed the question and still have no
answer, 5.1 worked in xp and after upgrading to Vista 5.1 it worked there as
well albeit with a rather non direct workaround and now with win 7 there is
no such workaround that I can come up with.

From: Vjekoslav on
may be you should try next> click on sound icon on the taskbar, then click
to the icon "speakers" on the top of slider, and you got a window "speakers
properties". Go to the "levels" tab, and push the all the sliders to 100% if
they are not allready. Hope this might help.

From: Drew on
I have indeed tried that to no avail but thanks for the response.