From: John on
Auric__ wrote:
>On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 18:00:38 GMT, John wrote:
>
>> John.H. wrote:
>>>Hi.
>>>I would like to upgrade to xp. I have 3 computers would I have to buy 3
>>>xp softwares or could I install it on all three from the 1 cd.
>>>John
>> Why not upgrade to Ubuntu - its free!
>
>Because that's not what the OP asked for.

No but he was obviously hoping he would only need to buy one disk. As
the answer is that he would need 3 you cannot give him the answer he
really wanted. He is proposing to "update" to an operating system
introduced 9 years ago, the future support for which is questionable.
The latest Ubuntu is just as user friendly as Windows and is free and
may well suit his requirements. He may not be aware of that. He doesn't
even need to install it to try it as it can be booted from a live CD.

>"Switch to Linux" is not the
>solution for every problem.

No but is a solution to many. Ubuntu can no longer be considered as the
province of computer nurds. Some time ago an interesting article
appeared in the New York times which said:

"The French National Assembly ... shifted from running Windows on the
1,100 computers of its members and their assistants to running a version
of Linux called Ubuntu. According to Rudy Salles, vice president of the
assembly, the decision to abandon Microsoft's Windows software was both
an economic and political gesture.
The French Parliament should save about 500,000 euros over the next five
years, thanks to the low price of Ubuntu –- free –- and have lower
management costs. Linux tends to have fewer security issues than
Windows, for example. ..... a survey polling members of the French
Assembly found that 80 percent of the members were happy with the new
software, which included new e-mail and office applications, while 14
percent felt Windows should return" - By Ashlee Vance

So 8 out of 10 are happy with it. All I am saying is that "John.H"
should consider other options before shelling out for 3 sets of disks
for a 9 year old operating system which is deliberately over priced to
prevent it eating into the sales of Windows 7.

--
John

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4