From: Mike Treseler on
Eric Chomko wrote:
> Has anyone created a copy machine of an old system using an FPGA? I
> was wondering if it would be possible to take an entire SWTPC 6800 and
> compile the schematics and have it run on an FPGA board.? Wouldn't
> even have to be the latest Xylinx product, I suspect.

No fpga, but same idea:
http://www.grc.com/pdp-8/pdp-8.htm

-- Mike Treseler
From: Chris Burrows on
"Eric Chomko" <pne.chomko(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
> Has anyone created a copy machine of an old system using an FPGA?

There have recently been some discussions along these lines in the
comp.lang.modula2 newsgroup regarding different ways of re-implementing a
Lilith.

Also MiniMig is an Amiga 500 re-implemented using an FPGA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimig

--
Chris Burrows
CFB Software

From: Alex Freed on
Eric Chomko wrote:
> Has anyone created a copy machine of an old system using an FPGA? I
> was wondering if it would be possible to take an entire SWTPC 6800 and
> compile the schematics and have it run on an FPGA board.? Wouldn't
> even have to be the latest Xylinx product, I suspect.

I did. Some 8 years ago.

http://alexfreed.com/FPGApple/

And then a few other vintage computers.

-Alex.

From: HT-Lab on

"Mike Treseler" <mtreseler(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Eric Chomko wrote:
>> Has anyone created a copy machine of an old system using an FPGA? I
>> was wondering if it would be possible to take an entire SWTPC 6800 and
>> compile the schematics and have it run on an FPGA board.? Wouldn't
>> even have to be the latest Xylinx product, I suspect.
>
> No fpga, but same idea:
> http://www.grc.com/pdp-8/pdp-8.htm

Looking at the PDP8 picture brings back bad memories of me helping to clear out
the computer lab at my old University which was full of PDP8 and PDP11, it all
went into the skip......;-(

Hans
www.ht-lab.com

From: James Harris on
On 5 Feb, 18:19, Eric Chomko <pne.cho...(a)comcast.net> wrote:

> Has anyone created a copy machine of an old system using an FPGA? I
> was wondering if it would be possible to take an entire SWTPC 6800 and
> compile the schematics and have it run on an FPGA board.? Wouldn't
> even have to be the latest Xylinx product, I suspect.

Like Alex Freed this person made an Apple 2 on FPGA

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~sedwards/apple2fpga/

An amazing project however one looks at it. The power consumption
figures are interesting.

James