From: Eric Chomko on
On Feb 6, 7:35 am, n...(a)puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) wrote:
> Eric Chomko <pne.cho...(a)comcast.net> wrote:
> >Has anyone created a copy machine of an old system using an FPGA? I
> >was wondering if it would be possible to take an entire SWTPC 6800 and
> >compile the schematics and have it run on an FPGA board.? Wouldn't
> >even have to be the latest Xylinx product, I suspect.
>
> Many people already did that.
>
> http://www.hat.hi-ho.ne.jp/tujikawa/esepld/esemsx2/

Yes, no doubt. I want to do it too, along with others in my Vintage
Computer Club. Perhaps we'll pick something that hasn't been done yet.

Eric

From: Eric Chomko on
On Feb 6, 1:34 pm, Jecel <je...(a)merlintec.com> wrote:
> I try to keep a reasonably updated list of such projects at
>
> http://www.merlintec.com:8080/hardware/31
>
> -- Jecel

Thanks, for the link.

Eric
From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
In comp.arch.fpga Al Kossow <aek(a)bitsavers.org> wrote:
(snip)

> Personally, I'm very interested in seeing B5500 running again.
> I'm hoping the MCP tapes we have in the CHM archives are
> recoverable. I have scanned most of the software listings CHM
> has in the archives and put them up on bitsavers.

The B5500 was the first computer I did any programming on, when
I was about nine. Not so much later, it was sold. I then
rediscovered programming some years later, first on an HP 9810A,
and then OS/360 Fortran.

It would be nice to try the B5500 again, though software emulation
(instead of FPGA emulation) would probably be just fine.

(snip)

> Hans Pufal was working on microcode level simulation of the 360/30,
> working from reverese-engineered microcode from the Field
> Engineering documents.

I thought someone had copies of the microcode, but then again
maybe that is what they meant. Are there no copies of the
actual ROS available in museums?

-- glen

From: Joe Pfeiffer on
Al Kossow <aek(a)bitsavers.org> writes:

> Reviving early computing dinosaurs from the surviving DNA is difficult.

That's a line that deserves to be put above the entrance to a computer
museum.
From: Al Kossow on
On 2/8/10 12:54 PM, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
> Al Kossow<aek(a)bitsavers.org> writes:
>>
>> Reviving early computing dinosaurs from the surviving DNA is difficult.
>
> That's a line that deserves to be put above the entrance to a computer
> museum.

Typo, this was what I actually meant to say

"Reanimating early computing dinosaurs from surviving DNA is difficult."