From: james on
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 09:27:23 -0500, jmfbahciv <jmfbahciv(a)aol> wrote:

|Rick wrote:
|> On Feb 10, 2:55 am, Olafur Gunnlaugsson <o...(a)audiotools.com> wrote:
|>> �ann 05/02/2010 18:19, Eric Chomko skrifa�i:

|>> There are loads of such projects out there, even a commercial one called
|>> C-One "the reconfigurable computer", here:http://www.c64upgra.de/c-one/
|>
|> It is a great effort but last time I checked it was a bit pricey ~$300
|> for a basic system.
|>
|Just out of curiosity, how old are you? Giving the decade is OK.
|A game system is that price so I'm wondering if "kids" think $300
|is too much.
|
|/BAH
|===========

Kids today have little concept of what is too much.

For what the board does it is a good price even now at 333 euros. The
boards are no longer shipping at the 269 euros anymore. The increase
price now reflects that the system ships with the FPGA extender card.
Also the main board uses two older FPGAs, EP1K30 and EP1K100.

You also need a SVGA monitor, a keyboard, memory, a PS2 style mouse,
floppy drives, hard drive, ATX case and ATX power supply. So to get a
system up and minimally running is going to cost you at least another
$200 additionally unless you have all those components lieing around
in your juck box.

It is a great effort on the team's part. It can be very flexible
system now with the Cyclone 3 extender board.

james
From: Charlie Gibbs on
In article <7ti2brFp0aU2(a)mid.individual.net>, Huge(a)nowhere.much.invalid
(Huge) writes:

> On 2010-02-09, Charles Richmond <frizzle(a)tx.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> Charlie Gibbs wrote:

>>> "It's a Unix system! I know this!" -- Jurassic Park
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFUlAQZB9Ng
>
> Another terrible moment in a deeply terrible movie.
>
> I wanted the dinosaurs to kill them all. And quickly.

You're as much of a curmudgeon as I am. At the end of
"The Perfect Storm" (one of two movies for which I feel
thoroughly ripped off for the price of admission), my only
thought was: "Good riddance to those stupid people."
(Unfortunately, the screenwriters survived.)

--
/~\ cgibbs(a)kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)

From: Michael Wojcik on
Huge wrote:

> Another terrible moment in a deeply terrible movie.
>
> I wanted the dinosaurs to kill them all. And quickly.

At least in _Jurassic Park_ you could root for the dinosaurs. _The
Matrix_ (my candidate for Most Overrated Movie Ever) didn't even have
that.

--
Michael Wojcik
Micro Focus
From: Eric Chomko on
On Feb 12, 12:46 pm, Michael Wojcik <mwoj...(a)newsguy.com> wrote:
> Huge wrote:
>
> > Another terrible moment in a deeply terrible movie.
>
> > I wanted the dinosaurs to kill them all. And quickly.
>
> At least in _Jurassic Park_ you could root for the dinosaurs. _The
> Matrix_ (my candidate for Most Overrated Movie Ever) didn't even have
> that.

Yes, the Hugo Weaving character was as obnoxious as Neo and the
others...

From: mac on
Some great stuff here.

Let me add my re-implementation of a New England Digital Able, the first
commercial single-instruction processor.

<http://sites.google.com/site/macthenaief/Home/retro/able>
<http://sites.google.com/site/macthenaief/Home/retro/fab>