From: Rick on
On Feb 10, 2:55 am, Olafur Gunnlaugsson <o...(a)audiotools.com> wrote:
> Þann 05/02/2010 18:19, Eric Chomko skrifaði:
>
> > Has anyone created a copy machine of an old system using an FPGA? I
> > was wondering if it would be possible to take an entire SWTPC 6800 and
> > compile the schematics and have it run on an FPGA board.? Wouldn't
> > even have to be the latest Xylinx product, I suspect.
>
> There are loads of such projects out there, even a commercial one called
> C-One "the reconfigurable computer", here:http://www.c64upgra.de/c-one/

It is a great effort but last time I checked it was a bit pricey ~$300
for a basic system.

Just my opinion but some of the other ways of doing it will be more
successful if volume is the sole criteria. For instance all those
MP3/4 type players seem to use some variation of Rockchip or Sunplus
'System on a Chip.' In the Sunplus case it has ~160 mHz ARM processor
as the core. Currently they only emulate NES or GB, type of old system
but they certainly have the processing power and enough I/O sans
keyboard to do most 8 bit and 16 bit computers. Build quality is a
problem of course but you can pick a 4 gig system with LCD screen for
about $50.

Rick
From: Charles Richmond on
Walter Bushell wrote:
> In article <hksqmd$arq$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> Charles Richmond <frizzle(a)tx.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> Jecel wrote:

>>> Great! This subject really needs a whole wiki to itself rather than
>>> just a page at a hard to remember address. This is on my "to do" list,
>>> but it will be a while before I get to it.
>>>
>>> -- Jecel
>> "I have discovered a truly wonderful proof of this, but the margin
>> is too narrow to hold it." -- Pierre de Fermat
>
> If only someone had provided him with some butter.

Par-Kay???

| Charles and Francis Richmond |
| |
| plano dot net at aquaporin4 dot com |
From: Olafur Gunnlaugsson on
�ann 10/02/2010 19:06, Rick skrifa�i:
> On Feb 10, 2:55 am, Olafur Gunnlaugsson<o...(a)audiotools.com> wrote:
>> �ann 05/02/2010 18:19, Eric Chomko skrifa�i:
>>
>>> Has anyone created a copy machine of an old system using an FPGA? I
>>> was wondering if it would be possible to take an entire SWTPC 6800 and
>>> compile the schematics and have it run on an FPGA board.? Wouldn't
>>> even have to be the latest Xylinx product, I suspect.
>>
>> There are loads of such projects out there, even a commercial one called
>> C-One "the reconfigurable computer", here:http://www.c64upgra.de/c-one/
>
> It is a great effort but last time I checked it was a bit pricey ~$300
> for a basic system.
>
> Just my opinion but some of the other ways of doing it will be more
> successful if volume is the sole criteria. For instance all those
> MP3/4 type players seem to use some variation of Rockchip or Sunplus
> 'System on a Chip.' In the Sunplus case it has ~160 mHz ARM processor
> as the core. Currently they only emulate NES or GB, type of old system
> but they certainly have the processing power and enough I/O sans
> keyboard to do most 8 bit and 16 bit computers. Build quality is a
> problem of course but you can pick a 4 gig system with LCD screen for
> about $50.
>
> Rick

But the neat thing about the C-One is that it has support for what, 10
systems in total and at the least 4 of them really good.

There is also some support for connecting to older hardware and more on
the way I gather, but frankly it is more of a hobbyist unit than what
you are describing
From: jmfbahciv on
Rick wrote:
> On Feb 10, 2:55 am, Olafur Gunnlaugsson <o...(a)audiotools.com> wrote:
>> �ann 05/02/2010 18:19, Eric Chomko skrifa�i:
>>
>>> Has anyone created a copy machine of an old system using an FPGA? I
>>> was wondering if it would be possible to take an entire SWTPC 6800 and
>>> compile the schematics and have it run on an FPGA board.? Wouldn't
>>> even have to be the latest Xylinx product, I suspect.
>> There are loads of such projects out there, even a commercial one called
>> C-One "the reconfigurable computer", here:http://www.c64upgra.de/c-one/
>
> It is a great effort but last time I checked it was a bit pricey ~$300
> for a basic system.

Just out of curiosity, how old are you? Giving the decade is OK.
A game system is that price so I'm wondering if "kids" think $300
is too much.

/BAH
From: james on
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 11:06:30 -0800 (PST), Rick
<richardcortese(a)gmail.com> wrote:

|It is a great effort but last time I checked it was a bit pricey ~$300
|for a basic system.

Try 333 euros now. $453 US. That includes the Cyclone 3 FPGA extender
board.

james