From: Abby Brown on

"Eric Chomko" <pne.chomko(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
> Has anyone created a copy machine of an old system using an
> FPGA? I
> was wondering if it would be possible to take an entire SWTPC
> 6800 and
> compile the schematics and have it run on an FPGA board.?
> Wouldn't
> even have to be the latest Xylinx product, I suspect.

Absolutely. There a number of them. This guy has done a PDP-4
and PDP-8,

http://homepage.mac.com/dgcx/pdp4x/

http://homepage.mac.com/dgcx/pdp4x/

I am in the process of doing a PDP-1. My background is high
performance computers so it is a high performance design.
Todays FPGAs and CAD allow a much more agressive implementation
than the original designers could afford and with far less
effort. The original PDP-1s sold for about $100K in early
1960s' dollars. Mine will cost only a few hundred dollars to
build.

Those interested in the subject might also be interested in the
simh group,

http://simh.trailing-edge.com/

which does simulators for legacy computers.

Gary

From: Morten Reistad on
In article <lMmdneY0IJR65-DWnZ2dnUVZ_uKdnZ2d(a)supernews.com>,
Abby Brown <abbybrown(a)charter.net> wrote:

>"Eric Chomko" <pne.chomko(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Has anyone created a copy machine of an old system using an
>> FPGA? I
>> was wondering if it would be possible to take an entire SWTPC
>> 6800 and
>> compile the schematics and have it run on an FPGA board.?
>> Wouldn't
>> even have to be the latest Xylinx product, I suspect.
>
>Absolutely. There a number of them. This guy has done a PDP-4
>and PDP-8,
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/dgcx/pdp4x/
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/dgcx/pdp4x/
>
>I am in the process of doing a PDP-1. My background is high
>performance computers so it is a high performance design.

Do you pipeline it? Any issues?

>Todays FPGAs and CAD allow a much more agressive implementation
>than the original designers could afford and with far less
>effort. The original PDP-1s sold for about $100K in early
>1960s' dollars. Mine will cost only a few hundred dollars to
>build.

A PDP1 is cool. Please tell when you have a production run. If
I have the money, I may shell out for a kit suitable for an
economist to assemble.

But a PDP6, or a '10 with a modern performance design would
be ultracool.

>Those interested in the subject might also be interested in the
>simh group,
>
> http://simh.trailing-edge.com/
>
>which does simulators for legacy computers.

I have used several of these emulators for years. Thank you
for your excellent work.

-- mrr

From: Abby Brown on

"Morten Reistad" <first(a)last.name> wrote in message
> In article <lMmdneY0IJR65-DWnZ2dnUVZ_uKdnZ2d(a)supernews.com>,
> Abby Brown <abbybrown(a)charter.net> wrote:
>>
>>"Eric Chomko" <pne.chomko(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Has anyone created a copy machine of an old system using an
>>> FPGA? I
>>I am in the process of doing a PDP-1. My background is high
>>performance computers so it is a high performance design.
>
> Do you pipeline it? Any issues?

The current design is not pipelined. Ultimately, I expect it
will be pipelined and latched.

> A PDP1 is cool. Please tell when you have a production run. If
> I have the money, I may shell out for a kit suitable for an
> economist to assemble.

I can make the board and chip design available.

> But a PDP6, or a '10 with a modern performance design would
> be ultracool.

That would be a group effort. I have an emotional attachment to
PDP-1s. I spent many happy hours playing Spacewar on a PDP-1
and learned to program on it as well.

Gary

From: jmfbahciv on
Abby Brown wrote:
> "Eric Chomko" <pne.chomko(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Has anyone created a copy machine of an old system using an
>> FPGA? I
>> was wondering if it would be possible to take an entire SWTPC
>> 6800 and
>> compile the schematics and have it run on an FPGA board.?
>> Wouldn't
>> even have to be the latest Xylinx product, I suspect.
>
> Absolutely. There a number of them. This guy has done a PDP-4
> and PDP-8,
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/dgcx/pdp4x/
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/dgcx/pdp4x/
>
> I am in the process of doing a PDP-1. My background is high
> performance computers so it is a high performance design.
> Todays FPGAs and CAD allow a much more agressive implementation
> than the original designers could afford and with far less
> effort. The original PDP-1s sold for about $100K in early
> 1960s' dollars. Mine will cost only a few hundred dollars to
> build.
>
> Those interested in the subject might also be interested in the
> simh group,
>
> http://simh.trailing-edge.com/
>
> which does simulators for legacy computers.

Re your background is high performance, what do you like best
about the PDP-1? (Or haven't you got that far?)

/BAH
From: Abby Brown on

"jmfbahciv" <jmfbahciv(a)aol> wrote in message
> Abby Brown wrote:
>> "Eric Chomko" <pne.chomko(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Has anyone created a copy machine of an old system using an
>>> FPGA? I
>>> was wondering if it would be possible to take an entire
>>> SWTPC 6800 and
>>> compile the schematics and have it run on an FPGA board.?
>>> Wouldn't
>>> even have to be the latest Xylinx product, I suspect.
>>
>> Absolutely. There a number of them. This guy has done a
>> PDP-4 and PDP-8,
>>
>> http://homepage.mac.com/dgcx/pdp4x/
>>
>> http://homepage.mac.com/dgcx/pdp4x/
>>
>> I am in the process of doing a PDP-1. My background is high
>> performance computers so it is a high performance design.
>> Todays FPGAs and CAD allow a much more agressive
>> implementation than the original designers could afford and
>> with far less effort. The original PDP-1s sold for about
>> $100K in early 1960s' dollars. Mine will cost only a few
>> hundred dollars to build.
>>
>> Those interested in the subject might also be interested in
>> the simh group,
>>
>> http://simh.trailing-edge.com/
>>
>> which does simulators for legacy computers.
>
> Re your background is high performance, what do you like best
> about the PDP-1? (Or haven't you got that far?)
>
> /BAH

The best (and worst) is the PDP-1's simplicity. It is easy to
implement. For the most part conditionals are decoupled from
arithmetic operations. That helps branches, which are always a
bottleneck.

The single arithmetic register is a bottleneck. Out of order
execution, for example, is difficult when almost every
instruction accesses the same register. Other the other hand,
if you treat memory as registers, which is feasible (there are
only 4K words), you can do interesting things with out-of-order.
RISC computers, such as ALPHA and MIPS, have compilers that help
the hardware by ordering instructions. With legacy software,
you cannot do that.

For comparison, when I was a DECie, I did the instruction fetch
and processing unit for a data flow VAX (never produced,
unfortunately). The number and complexity of instructions and
the weirdness of a few made high performace difficult. That was
one of the reasons DEC developed ALPHA.

Gary