From: H. Peter Anvin on
On 02/06/2010 10:34 AM, Jecel wrote:
> I try to keep a reasonably updated list of such projects at
>
> http://www.merlintec.com:8080/hardware/31

You can add to that list:

http://www.abc80.org/~hpa/fpga/

-hpa
From: Mike Hore on
(see below) wrote:
> On 05/02/2010 18:19, in article
> badc12c3-cb2b-4ce9-9543-237d60fc22d5(a)o8g2000vbm.googlegroups.com, "Eric
> Chomko" <pne.chomko(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone created a copy machine of an old system using an FPGA? I
>> was wondering if it would be possible to take an entire SWTPC 6800 and
>> compile the schematics and have it run on an FPGA board.? Wouldn't
>> even have to be the latest Xylinx product, I suspect.
>
> I think such a project would valuable, and perhaps even more valuable if it
> aimed to recreate a machine of the "heroic" era -- a 7094, an Atlas, or a
> KDF9, say. Perhaps even a Stretch.

A KDF9, maybe, but Stretch? You'd have to be seriously masochistic, or
downright insane :-)

Cheers, Mike.

Mike Hore mike_horeREM(a)OVE.invalid.aapt.net.au
From: invalid on
"(see below)" <yaldnif.w(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> On 05/02/2010 18:19, in article
> badc12c3-cb2b-4ce9-9543-237d60fc22d5(a)o8g2000vbm.googlegroups.com, "Eric
> Chomko" <pne.chomko(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>> Has anyone created a copy machine of an old system using an FPGA? I
>> was wondering if it would be possible to take an entire SWTPC 6800 and
>> compile the schematics and have it run on an FPGA board.? Wouldn't
>> even have to be the latest Xylinx product, I suspect.
> I think such a project would valuable, and perhaps even more valuable if
> it
> aimed to recreate a machine of the "heroic" era -- a 7094, an Atlas, or a
> KDF9, say. Perhaps even a Stretch.
> KDF9 had about 20K transistors, a few K logic transformers, and a
> comparable
> number of diodes; less than 50K devices in total. I imagine this would be
> easily accommodated on a modern FPGA. The big question would be whether to
> go for functional equivalence, or whether to try to replicate the original
> internal structures.

If you want funtional equivalence to the KDF-9 instruction set,
then get yourself a copy of the Forth language.

From: Gregory Estrade on
On 6 fév, 19:34, Jecel <je...(a)merlintec.com> wrote:
> I try to keep a reasonably updated list of such projects at
>
> http://www.merlintec.com:8080/hardware/31
>
> -- Jecel

You can add those too :
http://torlus.com/index.php?2007/12/05/208-oric-in-a-fpga-continued
http://torlus.com/index.php?2007/03/19/200-thomson-mo5-in-a-fpga
http://torlus.com/index.php?2007/01/31/198-hector-hrx-in-a-fpga

Someday, I will set up a dedicated page for all these projects :)
From: (see below) on
On 08/02/2010 07:46, in article hkofgc$g56$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
"Mike Hore" <mike_horeREM(a)OVE.invalid.aapt.net.au> wrote:

> (see below) wrote:
>> On 05/02/2010 18:19, in article
>> badc12c3-cb2b-4ce9-9543-237d60fc22d5(a)o8g2000vbm.googlegroups.com, "Eric
>> Chomko" <pne.chomko(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone created a copy machine of an old system using an FPGA? I
>>> was wondering if it would be possible to take an entire SWTPC 6800 and
>>> compile the schematics and have it run on an FPGA board.? Wouldn't
>>> even have to be the latest Xylinx product, I suspect.
>>
>> I think such a project would valuable, and perhaps even more valuable if it
>> aimed to recreate a machine of the "heroic" era -- a 7094, an Atlas, or a
>> KDF9, say. Perhaps even a Stretch.
>
> A KDF9, maybe, but Stretch? You'd have to be seriously masochistic, or
> downright insane :-)

Very possibly. 8-)

--
Bill Findlay
<surname><forename> chez blueyonder.co.uk