From: Charlie Gibbs on
In article <1bd40ftplw.fsf(a)snowball.wb.pfeifferfamily.net>,
pfeiffer(a)cs.nmsu.edu (Joe Pfeiffer) writes:

> Al Kossow <aek(a)bitsavers.org> writes:
>
>> Reviving early computing dinosaurs from the surviving DNA is
>> difficult.
>
> That's a line that deserves to be put above the entrance to a
> computer museum.

"It's a Unix system! I know this!" -- Jurassic Park

--
/~\ cgibbs(a)kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)

From: Mensanator on
On Feb 8, 7:05 pm, "Charlie Gibbs" <cgi...(a)kltpzyxm.invalid> wrote:
> In article <1bd40ftplw....(a)snowball.wb.pfeifferfamily.net>,
>
> pfeif...(a)cs.nmsu.edu (Joe Pfeiffer) writes:
> > Al Kossow <a...(a)bitsavers.org> writes:
>
> >> Reviving early computing dinosaurs from the surviving DNA is
> >> difficult.
>
> > That's a line that deserves to be put above the entrance to a
> > computer museum.
>
> "It's a Unix system!  I know this!"  -- Jurassic Park

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Ancient processors evolving into more terrifying CPUs?

Perhaps some things man wasn't meant to tamper with.

From: Rob Doyle on
> In comp.arch.fpga Anne& Lynn Wheeler<lynn(a)garlic.com> wrote:
> (snip)
>
>> in the early 80s los gatos did custom hardware for chip logic simulation
>> (LSM ... "losgatos state machine" ... then "logic simulation machine"
>> for publication) ... dozen plus rack boxes ... ran 50,000 times faster
>> faster than logic simulation in software on 3033
>
> I remember when I first started working with computers I had a
> book from our library about ECAP, IBM's Electronic Circuit
> Analysis Program. I never saw or used the actual program,
> and haven't heard about it since. I wonder where it went...
>
> -- glen

I used ECAP at Penn State in the late 70's. By then, Berkley SPICE
was looking like the better tool.

Rob.
From: oksid on
Jecel wrote:
> I try to keep a reasonably updated list of such projects at
>
> http://www.merlintec.com:8080/hardware/31

The commodore 64 clone "C-one" which is in your list is interesting.
It has been implemented in an ASIC and has been sold as a commercial
product.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C64_Direct-to-TV

From: Philipp Hachtmann on
Eric Chomko wrote:
> Has anyone created a copy machine of an old system using an FPGA? I
Yes, pdp8 :-)

But no front panel yet. Just a CPU with BRAM memory and teletype. Passed the CPU maindecs.

--
---
http://pdp8.hachti.de