Prev: JBL AD44
Next: fried amp
From: Hamm Guitars on
So why not control the volume at the unbalanced (guitar) end? You just want
to add a variable pad.

From: Snappy on
Geoff schreef:
> Snappy wrote:
>> Phil Allison schreef:
>>> "Snappy

>>> ** Why did you remove the original volume control on the guitar and
>>> why not put it back ?
>>>
>>> There is a lot you have not explained.
>>> ........ Phil
>> In order to keep the lead from the pick up as short as possible and to
>> avoid putting in another component in the chain that might affect the
>> quality of the signal, I removed all the controls in the guitar.
>> Hope that helps,
>>

> It all seems incredibly misguided. What makes your requirements so
> stringent that what is good enough (if not actually necessary) for
> everybody else, is not good enough for you ?
>
> And the whole concept of getting such a pure guitar signal into a mic preamp
> also goes totally against what everybody(?) elle tries to acheive, where the
> overall sound includes and amp and speakers. You will likely be getting
> such a useless signal that after your mic preamp you will then need to
> severely butcher the signal in order to get something actually usable -
> which makes the whole excersize just a little bit pointless.
> geoff

That's all nonsense Geoff: give these samples a listen if you will and
judge from what you hear. I'm certainly not like everybody else and I
hope you are neither since that would mean I (and the rest of mankind)
were like you ...

http://home.tiscali.nl/prolingua/

Ciao, Arie

From: Snappy on
Good point, I'll give that a try too. I tried to get the signal out of
the guitar as clean as possible: there are a zillion gadgets available
if it comes to alter the tone after the guitar itself, but I wanted to
start off with a pure tone. That's the whole purpose of this exercise.
Have a listen to this (without the pot. meter though):

From: Hamm Guitars on
O.K.,

I see what you are after. You are a "straight wire with gain" kind of guy.

Padding on either side of the DI shouldn't make that much of a difference,
at least not one that I could hear, and putting the pad on the unbalanced
side is pretty much exactly like putting the volume control back on the
guitar - although it is allot easier than trying to put a variable pad on
the balanced side, which would require a precision dual pot.

In the end you are trying to reduce your signal without altering the
frequency response from the pickup. Anything that you add to the circuit
will change the impedance of the circuit and trying to counter balance those
effects are somewhat futile as they will also effect tone. Impedance is
frequency dependant this is why adding components affects your tone in the
first place.

If you are dead set against adding a high quality, high value pot back onto
the guitar to attenuate the level, then I suggest that you use a different
method of attenuating the signal - try moving the pickup further away from
the strings or drop a few cotton balls into the guitar. If you feel that you
are loosing too much sustain or low end, add some mass to your headstock to
try to get back to where you want to be.

You can see that in either case, there are compromises that will effect your
tone you just have to choose one that you can live with. The guitar is going
to sound a little different on every console that it is plugged into
regardless of what you do, just as it sounds different in every room that
you play it in. Live sound is not a controlled atmosphere, as recording
studios are, so going this route you are going to end up with a guitar that
sounds good, but you won't really be able to take it anywhere.

Andy

From: Phil Allison on

"Hamm Guitars"

> I see what you are after. You are a "straight wire with gain" kind of guy.
>
> Padding on either side of the DI shouldn't make that much of a difference,
> at least not one that I could hear, and putting the pad on the unbalanced
> side is pretty much exactly like putting the volume control back on the
> guitar - although it is allot easier than trying to put a variable pad on
> the balanced side, which would require a precision dual pot.

** Not true. A single gang, low value pot wired across the transformer's
output is the best way - assuming there is no grounded centre tap.

But in general, the BEST way to feed an electric guitar into a balanced
mic input is to use an * ACTIVE * DI unit with FET input.

The jack lead from the guitar to the DI unit may be kept very short if the
DI is worn ( ie on a belt) by the player.

The OP's issues with pots on his guitar affecting tone etc are the RESULT of
his using a transformer instead of an active DI.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: JBL AD44
Next: fried amp