Prev: JBL AD44
Next: fried amp
From: Geoff on
Snappy wrote:
> Good point, I'll give that a try too. I tried to get the signal out of
> the guitar as clean as possible: there are a zillion gadgets available
> if it comes to alter the tone after the guitar itself, but I wanted to
> start off with a pure tone. That's the whole purpose of this exercise.
> Have a listen to this (without the pot. meter though):
>
> http://home.tiscali.nl/prolingua/
>
> Ciao, Arie

What's the whole purpose ? To start off with a clean tone, or to use the
zillion gadgets to alter the tone ?

The samples sound like an ultra pure guitar pickup sound. Pretty much
exactly like an unmodified guitar thru a DI box, and certainly no 'better'
for all your inconvenience and complications. The bland characterless sound
the pretty much the whole world tries to avoid in an electric guitar.

geoff

From: Phildo on

"Snappy" <snappy(a)tiscali.nl> wrote in message
> Geoff schreef:
>> It all seems incredibly misguided. What makes your requirements so
>> stringent that what is good enough (if not actually necessary) for
>> everybody else, is not good enough for you ?
>
> That's all nonsense Geoff: give these samples a listen if you will and
> judge from what you hear. I'm certainly not like everybody else and I hope
> you are neither since that would mean I (and the rest of mankind) were
> like you ...
>
> http://home.tiscali.nl/prolingua/

Don't worry about Geoff. He made a complete idiot of himself on here last
week and is in the middle of a tantrum as a result. Once his mummy changes
his nappy he'll hopefully end this hissy fit.

Until he gets over it and grows up a bit just ignore him.

Phildo

From: Hamm Guitars on
> ** Not true. A single gang, low value pot wired across the transformer's
> output is the best way - assuming there is no grounded centre tap.

Yup, you are absoutely correct. Using a dual pot to ground could potentially
short out the mic preamp and the phantom power on the board. Never put that
much thought into it as it made more sense to attenuate the unbalanced side.

From: Tim Padrick on

> Geoff schreef:
>> asdf wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> forgive me if this has been asked before:
>>>
>>> is it possible to place a vol. pot meter in a low impedance (1K,
>>> microphone level), balanced line. It should be a stereo pot.meter in
>>> order to be able to attenuate both lines simultaneously, but I'm
>>> puzzled about its value.
>>> Any ideas? Thanks a lot,
>>
>> Not something that would normally be done. What is your purpose, and
>> what is the mic working into ?
>>
>> geoff
>
> Thanks so far, it would have been wiser to explain what is the reason for
> asking.
>
> I built a mini DI-box into an electric guitar to change unbalanced into
> balanced and to reduce the impedance significantly. Works like a charm,
> very fine sound and I'm able to go directly into a mic.preamp. Just
> advantages so far. But now I miss the possibility to alter the volume on
> the guitar, hence my question: how to put a vol.pot meter into a bal.-low
> impedance line.
> Thanks again,
>
> Arie

I expect that the DI you built has a much more detrimental effect on the
sound of the guitar than do the pot and guitar cord you eleiminated, owing
to the comparatively low input impedance of the DI. Put the guitar back to
stock, and run it into a Radial J48 or Pro48 active DI.

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: JBL AD44
Next: fried amp