From: Hunter on

"Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hunter wrote:
>
>> How are the commercial news websites going to survive when most
>> countries now have a government funded online news service?
>
> In theory by have more apes on the ground feeding their web sites with
> news.
>
> Dubious proposition tho.
>
>> Our is news.abc.net.au and they will never charge for it.
>
> Yes, but it remains to be seen how much they will choose to
> spend on say showing up at interesting trials for long times etc.

Can't remember when the ABC ever missed anything newsworthy.

From: Rod Speed on
Hunter wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote
>> Hunter wrote

>>> How are the commercial news websites going to survive when most
>>> countries now have a government funded online news service?

There is no govt online news service in the biggest market, the US.

>> In theory by have more apes on the ground feeding their web sites with news.

>> Dubious proposition tho.

>>> Our is news.abc.net.au and they will never charge for it.

>> Yes, but it remains to be seen how much they will choose to
>> spend on say showing up at interesting trials for long times etc.

> Can't remember when the ABC ever missed anything newsworthy.

I can. Lots of the stuff that ends up in Austory and 4 Corners
never made it to the ABC News, 7:30 Report or Lateline.

And you dont get much coverage of trials at all, particularly the gory detail,
presumably because they dont bother to have anyone there every day etc.

From: Hunter on

"Andy" <nospam@> wrote in message
> Hunter wrote:
>
>> How are the commercial news websites going to survive when most countries
>> now have a government funded online news service? Our is
>> news.abc.net.au
>> and they will never charge for it.
>
> Presumably the same way they 'survive' now - advertising.

Apparently they are not doing well and they are talking about starting to
charge for use.

From: Zappy on
On Jun 4, 6:15 pm, "Hunter" <hun...(a)grome.zo.oct> wrote:
> "Andy" <nospam@> wrote in message

> > Hunter wrote:
>
> >> How are the commercial news websites going to survive when most countries
> >> now have a government funded online news service?   Our is
> >> news.abc.net.au
> >> and they will never charge for it.
>
> > Presumably the same way they 'survive' now - advertising.
>
> Apparently they are not doing well and they are talking about starting to
> charge for use.

Well doesn't the WSJ charge already? I know they were talking about
it. Good lcuk is all I can say.
From: Rod Speed on
Zappy wrote
> Hunter <hun...(a)grome.zo.oct> wrote
>> Andy <nospam@> wrote
>>> Hunter wrote

>>> Presumably the same way they 'survive' now - advertising.

>> Apparently they are not doing well and they are talking about starting to charge for use.

> Well doesn't the WSJ charge already?

Nope.

> I know they were talking about it.

Yes.

> Good lcuk is all I can say.

They might be able to get away with it.

I doubt that any other of Murdoch's rags could.