From: terryc on
On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 23:39:20 +1000, Hunter wrote:

> Ads pay a lot more on TV.

It can not be that much, given what is now being advertised. Although,
thinking back, K-tel managed prime time adds.

From: Rod Speed on
Gary R. Schmidt wrote
> Hunter wrote

>> How are the commercial news websites going to survive when most countries now have a government funded online news
>> service? Our is news.abc.net.au and they will never charge for it.

> Might as well ask - "How do commercial news *television* programs, or radio, for that matter, survive?"

They get much more advertising revenue than an online news service can.

From: Rod Speed on
terryc wrote
> Hunter wrote

>> How are the commercial news websites going to survive when most
>> countries now have a government funded online news service?
>> Our is news.abc.net.au and they will never charge for it.

> Quality, being original and first.

Difficult to do consistently with the sort of money that they can get by charging for access.

> The ABC news is all regurgitated feeds from elsewhere.

Not all of it is, most obviously with what has just happened in Israel.

From: Rod Speed on
terryc wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>> Yes, but it remains to be seen how much they will choose to
>> spend on say showing up at interesting trials for long times etc.

> I had the impression that the crews were not actually ABC news crews,
> but more likely some program collecting image for a future program.

Yes, but thats got real downsides comprehensive coverage wise.

Like I said, Richard Buttrose didnt even get a mention.

What you get with a site search is minimal even now.

From: Rod Speed on
terryc wrote
> Hunter wrote

>> Ads pay a lot more on TV.

> It can not be that much, given what is now being advertised.

It is anyway.

> Although, thinking back, K-tel managed prime time adds.

Try pricing them sometime.