From: John John - MVP on
Bruce Hagen wrote:

> "John John - MVP" <audetweld(a)nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
>> p.mc wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I need a copy or download link for WinXP SP2 for a single machine 32
>>> bit version. I'm just updating my wife's Win XP home edition SP1
>>> laptop. but Microsoft update site just links to SP3 or SP2 for
>>> multiple machines? I believe i can order a free hard copy online from
>>> microsoft, but I'd rather just DL one. I did try a link from another
>>> site which let me DL it but I noticed the KB number applied to the
>>> multiple machine SP2.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en
>>
>> Windows XP Service Pack 2 Network Installation Package for IT
>> Professionals and Developers
>>
>> John
>
> Thanks, John. I didn't think that was still around.

I wouldn't think that they would remove it anytime soon. If you do a
'gold' install of Windows XP you need to apply SP1a (SP1 is no longer
available, third party licensing thing) or SP2 before you can install
SP3. Many users have the unpacked gold or OEM versions, telling them
that they *must* slipstream SP3 before they can install is not likely to
be something that Microsoft wants to do.

John
From: p.mc on
Thanks very much to all. That has eased my mind, I'll apply the Windows XP
SP2 for IT Professionals then update to SP3..."Thankyou"

--

Regards
p.mc

From: John John - MVP on
p.mc wrote:
> "p.mc" <p.mc(a)home.com> wrote in message
>> "John John - MVP" <audetweld(a)nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message

>>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en
>>>
>>> Windows XP Service Pack 2 Network Installation Package for IT
>>> Professionals and Developers
>>>
>>> John
>>
>> Brief Description
>> This installation package is intended for IT professionals and
>> developers downloading and installing on multiple computers on a
>> network. If you're updating just one computer, please visit Windows
>> Update
>> this is for multiple machines though!
>> --
>>

>> Regards
>> p.mc
>
> Can someone click my link to see if this is the SP2 DL i'm looking for?

The right link is the one I provided:

From: John John - MVP on
p.mc wrote:
> "John John - MVP" <audetweld(a)nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
>> p.mc wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I need a copy or download link for WinXP SP2 for a single machine 32
>>> bit version. I'm just updating my wife's Win XP home edition SP1
>>> laptop. but Microsoft update site just links to SP3 or SP2 for
>>> multiple machines? I believe i can order a free hard copy online from
>>> microsoft, but I'd rather just DL one. I did try a link from another
>>> site which let me DL it but I noticed the KB number applied to the
>>> multiple machine SP2.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en
>>
>> Windows XP Service Pack 2 Network Installation Package for IT
>> Professionals and Developers
>>
>> John
>
> Brief Description
> This installation package is intended for IT professionals and
> developers downloading and installing on multiple computers on a
> network. If you're updating just one computer, please visit Windows Update
> this is for multiple machines though!

It's the 'whole' service pack, 266MB in size. For "multiple machines'
in the sense that you wouldn't want to have to send 500 machines to the
Windows Update site to get the service pack, you download the whole
service pack then you push it out to the machines on your network.

When done via Windows Updates the machine will only download and install
what is needed for the particular machine, for example, if you have an
Intel machine the update wouldn't download and install patches for AMD
machines, the contents and size of the service pack via Windows Update
could be much, much smaller than 266MB. That (Windows Update) is fine
for home users or for users who only have a few machines to update, the
download could be half as big as the full service pack. For network
installations you need the whole service pack as you don't know what
exactly is needed for each machine, when you install the service pack
the installation routine will determine what to install on the machine.
Same thing for IT Pros, if you were to go to someones house or place
of business to fix their computer you would want the whole service pack
as you would have no way of knowing what needs installing... and the
customer might be stuck on dialup, you wouldn't want to sit there
watching the installation of the service pack on dialup so you bring a
copy with you!

John
From: Patrick Keenan on
> "Bruce Hagen" <BRH(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> "p.mc" <p.mc(a)home.com> wrote in message
>>> "Bruce Hagen" <BRH(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message

>>> Hi Bruce
>>>
>>> It states...not to DL SP3 unless you have SP1a or SP2 already installed
>>> on the machine. And if I try windows update It wont let me go any
>>> further with updates!
>>> Tim recommends to DL the multiple machine SP2, but I'm not sure as it
>>> does say not to install on a single machine. Do you think I should?
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>>> Regards
>>> p.mc
>>

>> You're correct. My eyes *saw* SP1a. According to Tom, you can use the SP2
>> link you referred to.
>> --
>> Bruce Hagen
>> MS-MVP [Mail]
>> Imperial Beach, CA
>>

> But that one is "Windows XP Service Pack 2 Network Installation Package
> for IT Professionals and Developers" for multiple machines
> and the link in the previous post is diffrent and smaller in size. Can you
> confirm the smaller one in the provided link is the one to go with?

The one you're referring to here is the full SP2 package that covers all
eventualities. If you want to put it on CD for one machine - ANY one
machine - get that one. It doesn't matter that it's bigger.