From: Allen on
Peter wrote:
> "John McWilliams" <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Peter wrote:
>>> "Allen" <allent(a)austin.rr.com> wrote in message

>>> As do my wife and I. the last time we went, my wife commented that
>>> she would have liked to hear just one person say "F--- you." I will
>>> not discuss going on Space Mountain stoned.
>>
>> My wife never liked to hear that. What a wonderful wife you have!
>
> Thank you.
> Like me she grew up as a street from NYC and both of us call thigs
> pretty much as we see them. She always had a sense of humor. (she once
> shot a cop with a water pistol.) though the dumbest thing she ever did
> as stick with me all these years. When we met she was just 15. this year
> will be our 50th anniversy. We plan to go the the Panama Canal to
> celebrate.

Congratulations! Our 52nd is next month. Have a fun trip.
Allen
From: Allen on
tony cooper wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 20:20:41 -0700, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>> That is probably true for most family groups with young children and
>> grandchildren. An easy way to entertain the kids, and probably good
>> value for that purpose. I can appreciate that. However, regardless of
>> some of the value Disney provided through some of their great nature
>> productions, they distort and simplify much of our history.
>
> Hell, Duck, the Texas school board is doing more to distort history
> than Disney will ever do. Kansas legislators make Disney look like
> pikers in this area. Kids grow out of believing in Disney
> characterizations, but they are growing up in some states being taught
> not to believe in evolution.

I have lived in Texas for all my 81 years, and I'm very sorry to say
that you are correct. Incidentally, two of the worst on the Texas SBOE
were defeated in their own Republican primary by less-conservative
Republicans. That just means they are working fast and hard to do all
the damage they can before the general election and they themselves are
history.
Allen
From: Peter on
"Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in

> That is probably true for most family groups with young children and
> grandchildren. An easy way to entertain the kids, and probably good value
> for that purpose. I can appreciate that. However, regardless of some of
> the value Disney provided through some of their great nature productions,
> they distort and simplify much of our history. It is a personal matter,
> the corporate level of the operation and the artificiality of it all I
> (and I know I am a minority here) believe there are better options than
> that fantasy once those kids have a degree of individual thought to
> generate.

For all of us children there must come a time when we must realize Santa
Clause is only an allegorical figure.

> Sure that happened throughout our country. Gold miners in Yellowstone,
> timber in Sequoia, the Redwoods and Tsongas National Forest, Mormon
> intrusion in Utah, extermination and relocation of native tribes
> everywhere. We exploited everything, and would have left it all barren
> wasteland, for wealth.
> We had a few dedicated pioneers such as John Muir who fought to save that
> wilderness for the nation. It took political will from individuals such as
> Teddy Rooseveldt to truly protect them.
>
> Yes the railroad barons had their commercial interest in mind when they
> accessed Yellowstone, Glacier, Grand Canyon, and Yosemite. but they
> ultimately, whether intentionally, or not provided access to the parks for
> the average U.S. citizen.
>
> Even today these National Parks, Forests, National Monuments, and Civil
> War Battle fields are lusted after by commercial interests. Just think of
> the proposed Gettysburg Disney theme park. I shudder at the thought. I can
> see the Disney Yosemite, Halfdome elevator ride, and El Cap thrill dive.
> Please just keep them contained in Anaheim and Orlando.

Fortunately, the concept of a Gettyburgh theme park was rejected.

> The likes of the politicians such as Cheney and Palin would sell out to
> those corporate entities to strip the forests, and mine and drill until
> all that we had was scarred rubble.
>
> Excuse me my bias is showing. I need to relax.

No if you relax those greedy bastards will make our fears become reality.
As well it should. there are ignorant people who buy into their BS. These
are the same who deny there is global warming. And rely on Faux for their
dose of fair and balanced reporting.

--
Peter
Just don't put those windmills where I can see them

From: Peter on
"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>> Indeed. "Progress". I don't know of a single piece of land discovered by
>>> any nation and then occupied by them where it was much different. There
>>> must be some, somewhere, and I'd like to hear about them.
>>>
>>Me neither, but it doesn't make it right. Major problems arise we the
>>ousted
>>people come back to re-claim the land. Maybe I'm getting too idealistic as
>>get older.
>
> Where you live was probably, at one time, wrested away from a native
> American. Going to give it back?

Actually where I live was purchased in a legitimate trade, not at the point
of a gun. I researched this issue before we moved to the area in 1970.
But as to you question, I don't really pretend to know the answer. Morally
those who live on Indian territory have a right to recover from their
immediate seller. And so on down the daisy chain. If you purchase stolen
goods do you have a right to keep them.

--
Peter

From: Peter on
> Peter wrote:
>> "John McWilliams" <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote in message

>>> My wife never liked to hear that. What a wonderful wife you have!
>>
>> Thank you.
>> Like me she grew up as a street from NYC and both of us call thigs pretty
>> much as we see them. She always had a sense of humor. (she once shot a
>> cop with a water pistol.) though the dumbest thing she ever did as stick
>> with me all these years. When we met she was just 15. this year will be
>> our 50th anniversy. We plan to go the the Panama Canal to celebrate.

thanks.

--
Peter