From: Allen on
Peter wrote:
> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>> On 2010-07-02 19:19:40 -0700, "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net>
>> said:
>>
>>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

>>> Reminded me of my old 1952 Hudson Hornet.
>>
>> Well at least you had a "real" Hornet, not one of the AMC
>> abominations. Was yours a Coupe, sedan, or convertible?
>>

> Sedan, black. I traded it in for a Nash Rambler. (2nd worse car I ever
> owned) My Olds diesel being the worst, even though it was a tank and
> probably saved my daughter's life when she got sideswiped by a motorcycle.

Reminds me of something from my distant past. I was a banker, and in the
early '60s I ran the department that processed all the incoming work. I
realized that we could cut float by making a morning run from Austin to
the San Antonio Fed branch, which had a deadline of 11:00AM. For reasons
related only to customer relationships, the bank bought a Rambler for
those daily runs. One day we had a problem and we didn't get the work
dispatched until 10:12, to go 85 miles in 48 minutes. The driver came
back and handed me a ticket for doing 105 mph. I asked him how fast he
was actually going and he said "112". I asked him how he held the thing
on the road at that speed and he replied "The only way you can tell it's
going that fast is the rear view mirror gets just a little fuzzy".
Incidentally, even after stopping to get the ticket he made the deadline
and after we paid the fine we still made a little profit on the run.
Maybe a lemon overall, but for that purpose it was a great car.
Allen
From: Allen on
Savageduck wrote:
> For those who care, a 1948 Hudson Commodore, downtown this morning.
>
> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC3644w.jpg >

This entire thread reminds that today's routine sights are tomorrow's
history. I am constantly remembering things I wish I had documented with
photos 60, 50, even 20 years ago--things that were commonplace but are
now gone permanently.
Allen
From: George Kerby on

On 7/2/10 9:47 PM, in article kv8t265i2q7o631mgss4h7isf0a4oo6317(a)4ax.com,
"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 19:38:20 -0700, "John Sisker" <jsisker(a)sprynet.com>
> wrote:
>
>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>>> For those who care, a 1948 Hudson Commodore, downtown this morning.
>>>
>>> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC3644w.jpg >
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Savageduck
>>>

>> Interesting picture of the car itself, but the photo looks like nothing more
>> than my typical travel snapshots. A slightly different angle would have been
>> much better, plus some serious cropping for a better composition, and if you
>> actually intended that reflection, that could have been done much better as
>> well. In this particular case, I would assume that you did have amply time
>> in taking the picture, even with the possibility of using different lenses
>> and/or special effects.
>>

> Interesting critique, John. Feel free to offer a critique on my
> recent photograph of an automobile. Note that there are no
> distracting reflections.
>
> No special effects were used. While I could have used my Bondo or my
> Turtle Wax filter, I didn't.
>
> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/2010-06-30-003/91944
> 6485_6YMQ7-XL.jpg

Those are some resilient bumper stickers, are they not?

From: Peter on
"Allen" <allent(a)austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> Peter wrote:
>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

>>> Well at least you had a "real" Hornet, not one of the AMC abominations.
>>> Was yours a Coupe, sedan, or convertible?
>>>

>> Sedan, black. I traded it in for a Nash Rambler. (2nd worse car I ever
>> owned) My Olds diesel being the worst, even though it was a tank and
>> probably saved my daughter's life when she got sideswiped by a
>> motorcycle.
>>
> Reminds me of something from my distant past. I was a banker, and in the
> early '60s I ran the department that processed all the incoming work. I
> realized that we could cut float by making a morning run from Austin to
> the San Antonio Fed branch, which had a deadline of 11:00AM. For reasons
> related only to customer relationships, the bank bought a Rambler for
> those daily runs. One day we had a problem and we didn't get the work
> dispatched until 10:12, to go 85 miles in 48 minutes. The driver came back
> and handed me a ticket for doing 105 mph. I asked him how fast he was
> actually going and he said "112". I asked him how he held the thing on the
> road at that speed and he replied "The only way you can tell it's going
> that fast is the rear view mirror gets just a little fuzzy". Incidentally,
> even after stopping to get the ticket he made the deadline and after we
> paid the fine we still made a little profit on the run. Maybe a lemon
> overall, but for that purpose it was a great car.
> Allen

Today it's how good your IT department is.

--
Peter

From: nm5k on
On Jul 3, 1:24 am, piks11 <pik...(a)live.com> wrote:

> > After doing a bit of checking I believe it's a 53 Chevy Bel Air.- Hide quoted text -

> I'm not sure, but it was either a 53 or 54.  Really nice one.  I had
> that view for the better part of an hour.

It's a 53.. One of 24k , so probably not too many others like it
in that shape. The 54 had a longer more vertical tail light.
And you can tell it from a 52 in that the 53's lower trunk line was
lower on the 53 and 54 vs the earlier years. It almost went down
to the bumper, where as the 52 had the lower trunk edge a good
bit higher.. It's a 53, and a pretty valuable one at that, being a
rag top in nice shape.