From: Mike Williams on
"Mark McGinty" <mmcgintyNG(a)sSpUaCmKSdeprecatethis.com> wrote in message

> I don't know about all that, marketshare speaks
> for itself... so I'd say rumors of its pending demise
> are greatly exagerated.

I suppose you could be right, but personally I think the desktop market is
going to decline, and Micro$oft with it. The big money in the future will be
in getting the little money from the little people (I'm talking about a
dollar a deal stuff), something which Micro$oft have not shown themselves to
be particularly good at.

Mike

From: Mayayana on

| Windows itself is about to be deprecated. Personally I think it is about
| time we all moved to Linux.

I decided just last week to try again with my
periodic foray into Linux. Suse setup would let
me do partitioning but there seemed to be no
way to override its recommendation for the install
partition(s). So I tried Mandriva...not too bad after
I ran setup a dozen times or so. (Setup couldn't see
my graphic card that was replacing the onboard
graphics, and of course there was no help
documentation for setup options. I had to figure
out by trial and error that I needed to run setup
with the "text-only" option. Of course. How silly
of me. :)

Then I decided to adjust the firewall before
going online, but that had no docs and very few
settings.

All in all, it was a deflating couple of hours.
I keep hoping that someday I can just install
Linux and not spend weeks fiddling around, doing
research, and editing arcane config files deep in
/etc -- just to get the basics set up. But I don't
see that day on the horizon.

From: Norm on
Mayayana brought next idea :
>> Windows itself is about to be deprecated. Personally I think it is about
>> time we all moved to Linux.
>>
> I decided just last week to try again with my
> periodic foray into Linux. Suse setup would let
> me do partitioning but there seemed to be no
> way to override its recommendation for the install
> partition(s). So I tried Mandriva...not too bad after
> I ran setup a dozen times or so. (Setup couldn't see
> my graphic card that was replacing the onboard
> graphics, and of course there was no help
> documentation for setup options. I had to figure
> out by trial and error that I needed to run setup
> with the "text-only" option. Of course. How silly
> of me. :)
>
> Then I decided to adjust the firewall before
> going online, but that had no docs and very few
> settings.
>
> All in all, it was a deflating couple of hours.
> I keep hoping that someday I can just install
> Linux and not spend weeks fiddling around, doing
> research, and editing arcane config files deep in
> /etc -- just to get the basics set up. But I don't
> see that day on the horizon.

Mayayana,
It has been awhile since I played around with Linux, but I seem to
remember Ubuntu being about the easiest install of Linux that I had
ever used. You can download a version and install it with iso at no
cost at all. They also had pretty good newsgroups. You might give it a
try.

Norm

From: Henning on

"Norm" <NormF4(a)spoof.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Mayayana brought next idea :
>>> Windows itself is about to be deprecated. Personally I think it is about
>>> time we all moved to Linux.
>>>
>> I decided just last week to try again with my
>> periodic foray into Linux. Suse setup would let
>> me do partitioning but there seemed to be no
>> way to override its recommendation for the install
>> partition(s). So I tried Mandriva...not too bad after
>> I ran setup a dozen times or so. (Setup couldn't see
>> my graphic card that was replacing the onboard
>> graphics, and of course there was no help
>> documentation for setup options. I had to figure
>> out by trial and error that I needed to run setup
>> with the "text-only" option. Of course. How silly
>> of me. :)
>>
>> Then I decided to adjust the firewall before
>> going online, but that had no docs and very few
>> settings.
>>
>> All in all, it was a deflating couple of hours.
>> I keep hoping that someday I can just install
>> Linux and not spend weeks fiddling around, doing
>> research, and editing arcane config files deep in
>> /etc -- just to get the basics set up. But I don't
>> see that day on the horizon.
>
> Mayayana,
> It has been awhile since I played around with Linux, but I seem to
> remember Ubuntu being about the easiest install of Linux that I had ever
> used. You can download a version and install it with iso at no cost at
> all. They also had pretty good newsgroups. You might give it a try.
>
> Norm

I have a multiboot including Ubuntu, "almost" windows.
You can even run it from the CD for testing, no possibility to save any
settings though.

/Henning

From: Mayayana on

| It has been awhile since I played around with Linux, but I seem to
| remember Ubuntu being about the easiest install of Linux that I had
| ever used. You can download a version and install it with iso at no
| cost at all. They also had pretty good newsgroups. You might give it a
| try.

Yes, but I wanted finished Linux, not
kiddie Linux.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last