From: Norm on
Mayayana formulated on Sunday :
>> It has been awhile since I played around with Linux, but I seem to
>> remember Ubuntu being about the easiest install of Linux that I had
>> ever used. You can download a version and install it with iso at no
>> cost at all. They also had pretty good newsgroups. You might give it a
>> try.
>>

> Yes, but I wanted finished Linux, not
> kiddie Linux.

Not sure what you mean by kiddie Linux, but I sure liked it a lot more
than SuSe.

Norm

From: Henning on

--
Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT
"Mayayana" <mayayana(a)invalid.nospam> skrev i meddelandet

> | It has been awhile since I played around with Linux, but I seem to
> | remember Ubuntu being about the easiest install of Linux that I had
> | ever used. You can download a version and install it with iso at no
> | cost at all. They also had pretty good newsgroups. You might give it a
> | try.
> |

> Yes, but I wanted finished Linux, not
> kiddie Linux.

Comming from kiddie windows, kiddie linux isn't that bad ;)

/Henning

From: DanS on
"Mayayana" <mayayana(a)invalid.nospam> wrote in

>| It has been awhile since I played around with Linux, but I
>| seem to remember Ubuntu being about the easiest install of
>| Linux that I had ever used. You can download a version and
>| install it with iso at no cost at all. They also had
>| pretty good newsgroups. You might give it a try.
>|

> Yes, but I wanted finished Linux, not
> kiddie Linux.

I don't have any clue as to what you mean by 'kiddie' Linux.
.......unless you believe the real Lintards that say K/Ubuntu
sucks because it's too easy to install, and generally works.
They'd prefer to CLI grep text files and use edlin like programs
instead of using a simple GUI. I haven't tried the latest
version, but the previous one installed, found all hardware, and
everythin gworked on it's own.

Then shy away from Ubuntu, and try Kubuntu instead. The
difference is Kubuntu uses the KDE desktop, and Ubuntu uses
GNOME.

IMO, KDE is much more asthetically appealing that GNOME.

KDE also has better intrinsic apps than GNOME.
From: Mark McGinty on

"dpb" <none(a)non.net> wrote in message
> Mark McGinty wrote:
>> In hopes of filling the void that will be left by these pending closures,
>> I've added a section to a forum I created a couple of years ago,
>> www.deprecatethis.com. ... as a
>> replacement -- of course it isn't a news group, but at least the
>> questions
>> we used to post in these newsgroups will be on-topic. Another plus is
>> that the site admin (that would be me) will be highly receptive to
>> suggestions, making this a chance to shape a new community.
>>
> For ms.p.vb.g.d group it appears the consensus is to move to existing
> comp.lang.basic.visual.misc newsgroup. Most of these groups wouldn't be
> terribly off-topic if at all there and until there's sufficient traffic to
> generate the need, I see no reason for anything else.
>
> And, of course, it's still to be determined whether the mirrored sites
> will cease to carry the msnews hierarchies they're currently mirroring
> just because MS pulls the plug on their servers.

Interesting... to be fair I don't know that much about NNTP infrastructure,
but I would've assumed the mirrors wouldn't be able to continue without the
source.

>> I understand the preference for NNTP over web-based forums, but
>> unfortunately I lack the means to host an NNTP server, this is all I have
>> offer, so... Please consider yourself invited to join.

> Don't have any problem w/ the invitation but it doesn't seem necessary to
> give up on usenet over the withdrawal of MS from participating
> (fortunately).

Time will tell, I suppose -- it always does. Thanks for taking time to
consider my invitation, I appreciate it.

--
Mark McGinty
mmcgintyNG(a)deprecatethis.com

From: dpb on
Mark McGinty wrote:

> Interesting... to be fair I don't know that much about NNTP infrastructure,
> but I would've assumed the mirrors wouldn't be able to continue without the
> source.

No, NNTP is a distributed medium; I've not logged into the msnews
servers in years.

The question is whether a) MS will send an authenticated "removegroup"
command and b) whether that will be responded to by all mirrors, if so.

And, of course, there's the google groups archives--about the most I'd
think MS could expect there would be to stop additional postings but
given G's "handsoff" management to date, it's hard to imagine them doing
anything whatever.

I don't know for sure what'll happen, either, other than to "hide and
watch"...

--
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7