From: Bob O`Bob on
Mark McGinty wrote:

> Interesting... to be fair I don't know that much about NNTP infrastructure,
> but I would've assumed the mirrors wouldn't be able to continue without the
> source.

Nobody needs to care about the ones with "microsoft" in the group names.
We have always had a "home" in the comp.* heierarchy.

Bob
Ex-MVP for Classic VB
From: Mike Williams on
"Bob O`Bob" <filterbob(a)yahoogroups.com> wrote in message

> Nobody needs to care about the ones with "microsoft" in
> the group names. We have always had a "home" in the
> comp.* heierarchy. Bob
> Ex-MVP for Classic VB

Agreed. That's where I'm going next week (on 1st June as suggested by some
others). This group, and any other Micro$oft group or forum, is finished for
me then.

Mike
Ex-MVP for Classic VB

From: Mark McGinty on

"dpb" <none(a)non.net> wrote in message
> Mark McGinty wrote:
>> In hopes of filling the void that will be left by these pending closures,
>> I've added a section to a forum I created a couple of years ago,
>> www.deprecatethis.com. ... as a
>> replacement -- of course it isn't a news group, but at least the
>> questions
>> we used to post in these newsgroups will be on-topic. Another plus is
>> that the site admin (that would be me) will be highly receptive to
>> suggestions, making this a chance to shape a new community.
>>
> For ms.p.vb.g.d group it appears the consensus is to move to existing
> comp.lang.basic.visual.misc newsgroup. Most of these groups wouldn't be
> terribly off-topic if at all there and until there's sufficient traffic to
> generate the need, I see no reason for anything else.

I forgot to say... That's all good for VB6, but what about the other various
"classic" technologies, like ADO and ASP?

-MM

From: dpb on
Mark McGinty wrote:
> "dpb" <none(a)non.net> wrote in message

>> For ms.p.vb.g.d group it appears the consensus is to move to existing
>> comp.lang.basic.visual.misc newsgroup. Most of these groups wouldn't be
>> terribly off-topic if at all there and until there's sufficient traffic to
>> generate the need, I see no reason for anything else.
>
> I forgot to say... That's all good for VB6, but what about the other various
> "classic" technologies, like ADO and ASP?

They're probably "close enough" for at least a while.

I've never followed their groups so don't have any idea what sort of
activity level they currently have. I'd guess there's somewhere in the
comp.lang.* hierarchy that wouldn't reject them including clbvm or point
them somewhere else.

As noted, earlier, there was an indication that comp.lang.* admin's are
aware of the demise of msnews and are/would be amenable to fasttracking
additional groups to support the orphaned, assuming there's enough
traffic and somebody steps up to even ask.

From: Henning on

--
Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT
"dpb" <none(a)non.net> skrev i meddelandet
> Mark McGinty wrote:
>> "dpb" <none(a)non.net> wrote in message
>
>>> For ms.p.vb.g.d group it appears the consensus is to move to existing
>>> comp.lang.basic.visual.misc newsgroup. Most of these groups wouldn't be
>>> terribly off-topic if at all there and until there's sufficient traffic
>>> to generate the need, I see no reason for anything else.
>>
>> I forgot to say... That's all good for VB6, but what about the other
>> various "classic" technologies, like ADO and ASP?

> They're probably "close enough" for at least a while.
>
> I've never followed their groups so don't have any idea what sort of
> activity level they currently have. I'd guess there's somewhere in the
> comp.lang.* hierarchy that wouldn't reject them including clbvm or point
> them somewhere else.
>
> As noted, earlier, there was an indication that comp.lang.* admin's are
> aware of the demise of msnews and are/would be amenable to fasttracking
> additional groups to support the orphaned, assuming there's enough traffic
> and somebody steps up to even ask.
>
> --

Otherwise comp.lang.basic.visual.database will do for ADO I guess.
Sadly there is only spam at the moment.

/Henning

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7