From: His kennyness on
On 06/29/2010 10:28 AM, Richard Cornford wrote:
> On Jun 29, 2:06 pm, Kenneth Tilton wrote:
>> Richard Cornford wrote:

>>> <snip>
>>
>>> OK, what is the point of positing to a javascript group
>>> a link to a web page ...
>>
>> It is based on qooxlisp, a great JS library, is the point.
>
> The point you are making about qooxlisp is probably not the point you
> think you are making.

Sorry, I meant qooxdoo. qooxlisp is my integration of Lisp and qooxdoo.

>> that produces a javascript error before it even finishes
>>
>> Works for me on Chrome, FireFox, Safari, and IE. And slowly
>> on Opera.
>
> That seems to be an exaggeration.

No luck with Konqueror. Or Opera. FireFox and Chrome are fine on Ubuntu.

>>> That error being:-
>>
>>> Line: 5180
>>> Char: 9
>>> Error: Image modification not possible because elements could not
>>> be replaced at runtime anymore!
>>> Code: 0
>>> URL:http://temoalgebra.com/
>>
>> What the hell is temoalgebra? Try:http://teamalgebra.com/
>
> It is a typo.
>
>> Nice bug report. No browser, no OS...
>
> What has the OS got to do with anything?

Oh, right, the same browser on different OSes always works exactly the
same. Not a programmer, eh?

> And there is only one browser
> that outputs its error reports in that style (which means that only
> someone who was not looking at their error reports would not recognise
> it (which would also be someone who thought something was fine while
> it was generating errors)).
>
>>> (It is a custom error, presumably produced by whatever library
>>> you are using, but what on earth is that "anymore" about? A
>>> browser either can replace elements at runtime or it cannot;
>>> it is not a faculty that comes and goes).
>>
>>> And don't you think that a 2.5 MB download is a little excessive
>>> for a single web page (even if it were actually functional)?
>>
>> Last I looked it was ~800k
>
> It sounds like you are not measuring your HTTP traffic very
> effectively.

What I measured was the 2s it took for the app to come up. Case closed.

>> and the "single web page" is the entire web
>> application
>
> That is probably a mater of perspective.

No, that is how it works. After the page loads it's all the JS sailing
back and forth altering what the user sees.

You should talk less and learn more.

>> (which was 40mb as a desltop app).
>>
>> Kids will work on Algebra for 10-50 minutes at a time, they'll
>> wait 2-3s.
>
> 35 seconds here for an initial load, ..

I get 2s no matter where I try it, so I will just ignore your report
unless you have a stack to report as well.

> and gambling on the patience of
> children doesn't sound like it has as much mileage as you think.

Talk about childish...

kt
From: His kennyness on
On 06/29/2010 08:17 AM, kodifik wrote:
>> Don't mind the whacky color scheme, that is just leftover debuggery to
>> help me sort out the qooxdoo layout manager. It's pretty powerful hence
>> sometimes surprising.
>
> FYI
> It does not seem to work well with a spanish keyboard.

What browser? I just saw the hyphen keystroke come through as "m" using
Opera (and had reports similar to yours from users of <some other> browser.

>> --http://www.stuckonalgebra.com
>> "The best Algebra tutorial program I have seen... in a class by itself."
>> Macworld
>
> You seem to be also stuckonproprietarysoftware

Yeah, we're going to put all you Communists out of business.

kt
From: John G Harris on
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 at 09:06:47, in comp.lang.javascript, Kenneth Tilton
wrote:

<snip>
>Nice bug report. No browser, no OS...
<snip>

It gets javascript errors for me as well. (More than one).

Hint:
It's the browser that Microsoft security updates recommend.
It's the browser that's being heavily advertised in magazines and
newspapers.

And it's XP SP3.

John
--
John Harris
From: Evertjan. on
John G Harris wrote on 29 jun 2010 in comp.lang.javascript:

> It's the browser that Microsoft security updates recommend.
> It's the browser that's being heavily advertised in magazines and
> newspapers.
>
> And it's XP SP3.

That's not a browser.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
From: Richard Cornford on
On Jun 29, 4:09 pm, His kennyness wrote:
> On 06/29/2010 10:28 AM, Richard Cornford wrote:

>>> It is based on qooxlisp, a great JS library, is the point.
>
>> The point you are making about qooxlisp is probably not the
>> point you think you are making.
>
> Sorry, I meant qooxdoo. qooxlisp is my integration of Lisp
> and qooxdoo.

Alright, the point you think you are making about qooxdoo is probably
not the point that you are making.

>>> that produces a javascript error before it even finishes
>
>>> Works for me on Chrome, FireFox, Safari, and IE. And slowly
>>> on Opera.
>
>> That seems to be an exaggeration.
>
> No luck with Konqueror. Or Opera. FireFox and Chrome are fine
> on Ubuntu.

See, as you get more specific the list gets shorter.

>>> What the hell is temoalgebra? Try:http://teamalgebra.com/
>
>> It is a typo.
>
>>> Nice bug report. No browser, no OS...
>
>> What has the OS got to do with anything?
>
> Oh, right, the same browser on different OSes always works exactly
> the same.

Yes, to the extent that they are the same browser.

> Not a programmer, eh?

If you say so.

>> And there is only one browser that outputs its error reports in
>> that style (which means that only someone who was not looking at
>> their error reports would not recognise it (which would also be
>> someone who thought something was fine while it was generating
>> errors)).

>>> Last I looked it was ~800k
>
>> It sounds like you are not measuring your HTTP traffic very
>> effectively.
>
> What I measured was the 2s it took for the app to come up. Case
> closed.

Returning to the point of your post; wasn't there some intention to
make that point to a wider audience?

>>> and the "single web page" is the entire web
>>> application
>
>> That is probably a mater of perspective.
>
> No, that is how it works.

I ma talking about the label. You show me a broken toy and call it an
"application", I don't see it that way.

> After the page loads it's all the JS sailing
> back and forth altering what the user sees.
>
> You should talk less and learn more.

Possibly I should learn to identify those who are not capable of
listening more quickly.

>>> (which was 40mb as a desltop app).
>
>>> Kids will work on Algebra for 10-50 minutes at a time, they'll
>>> wait 2-3s.
>
>> 35 seconds here for an initial load, ..
>
> I get 2s no matter where I try it, so I will just ignore your
> report unless you have a stack to report as well.

A somewhat arbitrary reason for ignoring someone (though I doubt that
it will be followed through).

>> and gambling on the patience of children doesn't sound like
>> it has as much mileage as you think.
>
> Talk about childish...

?

Richard.