From: Kenneth Tilton on
John G Harris wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 at 13:01:53, in comp.lang.javascript, His kennyness
> wrote:
>> On 06/29/2010 11:43 AM, John G Harris wrote:
>>> On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 at 09:06:47, in comp.lang.javascript, Kenneth Tilton
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> It gets javascript errors for me as well. (More than one).
>> Errors or are you see the logging to the console I forgot to take out?
>
> Errors.

such as?

kt

--
http://www.stuckonalgebra.com
"The best Algebra tutorial program I have seen... in a class by itself."
From: His kennyness on
On 06/29/2010 01:01 PM, His kennyness wrote:
> On 06/29/2010 11:43 AM, John G Harris wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 at 09:06:47, in comp.lang.javascript, Kenneth Tilton
>> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>> Nice bug report. No browser, no OS...
>> <snip>
>>
>> It gets javascript errors for me as well. (More than one).
>
> Errors or are you see the logging to the console I forgot to take out?

btw, were you seeing 404s on things like char3E.png?

I thought I had provided all the support files required by jsMath, but I
did not even come close. Now rectified. Opps, one more font directory to
go. Glad you asked.

From: RobG on
On Jun 29, 8:43 pm, Kenneth Tilton <kentil...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Now you can ask for hints (and a bunch more is fixed):
>
> http://teamalgebra.com/

Very slow to load, over 20 seconds. Sometimes it gets stuck and just
stops loading in a dysfunctional state and a reload is required to get
it to "work".

Freestyle section:

Seems dysfunctional and very slow. Selecting "Simplify" and entering:

y = 2x + 3x

does not seem to do anything useful. The delete key does nothing.
Pressing return after finishing typing does nothing. Entering "==" as
suggested in the typing tutorial does nothing. Clicking "Hint" does
nothing.

I have no idea whether the application is supposed to simplify the
function or if I am expected to enter the simplification and it will
check if I'm right. I couldn't do either to find out.

Typing tutorial section:

When instructions on the screen are followed precisely, things go as
planned (more or less, if you have a lot of patience and wait
diligently for the display to update). Any deviation can have
unpredictable results.

The UI is awful. Apart from being very slow (glacial) and jerky when
keys are pressed, it doesn't work as one might expect:

1. The delete key doesn't do anything
2. Selecting multiple characters and pressing backspace should delete
the selected characters - it doesn't.
3. Shift+left arrow should select one or more characters to the left
of the cursor - it doesn't.
4. Inside a text field, the cursor should be able to be positioned
using the mouse, it can't
5. Pressing the tab key 3 or 4 times results in the cursor jumping
around more or less randomly between fields. Text may be entered into
any field, or different ones. The random jerkiness continues for some
time, minutes at least.

Other sections don't have any useful content yet.

Overall, it rates somewhere between dysfunctional and unusable.

For the record, I used Firefox 3.6.6 on Windows XP.

An OT question: what place does automatic parenthesis insertion have
in an algebra tutorial? Shouldn't students be learning where to put
them themselves?

> I like -3x > 15 because then it offers two hints, one about dividing on
> both sides and one about flipping the inequality.

Where? When? How?

> That is the qooxdoo JS library driven by a Lisp server app running
> AllegroServe, all with Cells Inside(tm), running on an AWS 64-bit instance.

So if I want a slow, dysfunctional application I should use those
technologies?

> Don't mind the whacky color scheme, that is just leftover debuggery to
> help me sort out the qooxdoo layout manager. It's pretty powerful hence
> sometimes surprising.

On the contrary, I think Qooxdoo is a significant part of your
problem. Have you tried a minimalist approach, using HTML and CSS as
much as possible and keeping scripting to an absolute minimum? How
about an approach where the user types into a field and can see the
resulting formatted expression in a separate part of the page?

Creating an entire UI in javascript is rarely a good idea, that is why
frameworks like Qooxdoo are almost certain to fail when applied to
applications on the web.

> --http://www.stuckonalgebra.com
> "The best Algebra tutorial program I have seen... in a class by itself."
> Macworld

Perhaps you should ask them to review your web version.

--
Rob
From: Richard Cornford on
On Jun 29, 6:10 pm, His kennyness wrote:
> On 06/29/2010 12:29 PM, Richard Cornford wrote:
<snip>

>>> I get 2s no matter where I try it, so I will just ignore
>>> your report unless you have a stack to report as well.
>
>> A somewhat arbitrary reason for ignoring someone (though
>> I doubt that it will be followed through).
>
> Sorry, we call this triage:

Who are "we" in this case? In normal triage decisions are made based
on the condition of the subject, rather than some other arbitrary
factor. After all, what has my having "a stack" (whatever you think
you mean by that) got to do with how long the resources employed by a
website take to download (or how many bytes that download represents.

> someone making un-reproducible reports of behavior 20
> times slower than is observed elsewhere has to be
> ignored until I can outsource your call to India.

I did not call, you presented your creation for comment and I
commented. I have precisely zero intention of helping you solve the
problems you have with that creation, even if you were not so
determined to hide from them.

Obviously I have no idea how you are going about this 'testing' you
are doing but I suspect that it is seriously faulty based on what you
are saying. For example, you assert that "Last I looked it was ~800k",
yet the single resource at http://teamalgebra.com/script/soa.js is
sent with a Content-Length header of 1074214, which alone far exceeds
800k, and that is without the content of the responses to the other 80
odd request made during the initial loading of the page. If you are
failing to reproduce the issues that you are being told about it seems
quite likely that you are either not trying very hard or don't know
how to set about it.

Richard.
From: John G Harris on
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 at 09:35:52, in comp.lang.javascript, His kennyness
wrote:
>On 06/29/2010 11:41 PM, RobG wrote:
>> On Jun 29, 8:43 pm, Kenneth Tilton<kentil...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Now you can ask for hints (and a bunch more is fixed):
>>>
>>> http://teamalgebra.com/
>>
>> Very slow to load, over 20 seconds.
>
>I get 1-2s, ie, too fast to notice.
<snip>

Your soa.js is 1,077,248 bytes long. To get a 2s download time you need
an 8+Mbit/s connection transferring at full speed. You should assume
that many of your broadband customers are getting only 2Mb/s.

Your sure.png is over 118 kB. It can be reduced to 17 kB without
degradation by making it a GIF file with 32 colours.

John
--
John Harris
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last