From: Stefan Weiss on
On 02/07/10 17:17, Stefan Weiss wrote:
> [...] built on a commercial framework [...]

Sorry, I confused that with Ext.
Qooxdoo is LGPL/EPL.

--
stefan
From: Peder O. Klingenberg on
Kenneth Tilton <kentilton(a)gmail.com> writes:

> It seems quite fast to me, and the only people who say it is slow also
> turn out to be library haters whose reports cannot be
> reproduced.

I'm reading this in comp.lang.lisp, and have no opinion on js libraries,
or indeed js at all. I tried your site the other day, and found it
painfully slow to load. This was at work, where we have a 100Mbit pipe
to the relevant transit provider, but I'm located in Europe, so the
latency might be a bit worse than in NYC.

I didn't time it, but I managed to switch to another virtual desktop,
read a mail, and switch back before the page rendered. It popped up a
firebug console with lots of scary-looking messages that I ignored.
Typing was bearable, but only just, there was a quite noticable lag
before anything rendered. I sometimes had trouble editing text I wrote,
and I couln't type < or > at all. I clicked the "solved" button
prematurely, and got an error message telling me to do more work, but I
was unable to return to editing the text.

This was on my normal work PC, an old Ubuntu install, 64 bit Firefox
3.0.something.

I tried at home now to see if the slowness was reproducible. "At home"
means MacOSX, Firefox 3.6.4, 25Mbit net connection. The slowness was
not reproducible here, because the page failed to render at all. The
firebug panel appeared, this time without scary messages, but the rest
of the page was a uniform, boring gray.

I know cells is cool and all, but I wasn't exactly blown away by this
demo, sorry.

....Peder...
--
I wish a new life awaited _me_ in some off-world colony.

From: Sherm Pendley on
peder(a)news.klingenberg.no (Peder O. Klingenberg) writes:

> I tried at home now to see if the slowness was reproducible. "At home"
> means MacOSX, Firefox 3.6.4, 25Mbit net connection. The slowness was
> not reproducible here, because the page failed to render at all. The
> firebug panel appeared, this time without scary messages, but the rest
> of the page was a uniform, boring gray.

Likewise on my Mac, with FF 3.6.6.

To be fair though, the uniform boring gray page *did* load and render
very quickly. ;-)

sherm--

--
Sherm Pendley <www.shermpendley.com>
<www.camelbones.org>
From: Kenneth Tilton on
Stefan Weiss wrote:
>>> "dozen[s] of"?! (guessing at the idomatic expression you meant, but even
>>> one dozen is a problem because...): There is one xhr per digit. I doubt
>>> you were writing a number 24 digits long.
>
> (snip)
>
>> Use case :
>> Try to type a digit without numeric keyboard and without CAPS LOCK on.
>> Then, you'll need to press the shift key. Let's say you press shift
>> key one second, you have sent 20 XHR if keyrepeat is set to 20 on your
>> OS.
>
> The shift key will only be necessary on keyboard layouts like the French
> one. English or American layouts normally have the numbers available in
> the upper row without modifiers, and require shift for symbols like "!"
> or "(".
>
> The shift key shouldn't cause any repeating events.

I believe I have. This is qooxdoo sending those events, their mileage
may differ.

> That doesn't mean the editor is usable in its current state. It's
> trivially easy to leave it in an unresponsive state by accident.

No, that means it is unusable until it breaks, as I explained up front.
Get it? Meanwhile, intellectually honest people are interested by my
approach to smart math editing and talk about that.

This
> happened to me twice in a row - in the "typing tutorial", no less. My
> motivation to file a detailed bug report is rather low,

I am encouraging folks not to spend any energy on bug reports because I
probably already know they are there or will find them soon enough. That
is not what I am doing now.

> "His kennyness" said he doesn't want help with his application, and he
> quite obviously doesn't want to discuss its JavaScript related aspects.

Nonsense. Most responses have been pretty useless, all motivated by
library hatred. Get a life.

> PS: I just saw Kenneth Tilton's reply about the unnecessary XHR
> requests. Performance is "mission-critical" for him, and the solution to
> the problem is to close your eyes (don't look at the requests)? Priceless.

The rice is on time and the challenge (not too hard) is knowing what to
work on first. Performance is outstanding and you want me to work on
that now? Priceless.

kt

--
http://www.stuckonalgebra.com
"The best Algebra tutorial program I have seen... in a class by itself."
From: Kenneth Tilton on
Gildas wrote:
> On 2 juil, 16:35, Kenneth Tilton <kentil...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> I reach up to the fourth row of my keyboard and type the digit without
>> using any modifier keys.
>>
>> Are you using a cell phone to do Algebra? That is so cool!
> No I just use a french keyboard on my laptop.
>
>>> Then, you'll need to press the shift key. Let's say you press shift
>>> key one second, you have sent 20 XHR if keyrepeat is set to 20 on your
>>> OS.
>> Oh, that. If you turn off your XHR viewer do you notice a problem? Does
>> your ISP charge you per XHR? Why are you watching XHRs? Are you just
>> looking for a reason to get annoyed?
> My ISP does not charge me per XHR. I'm watching XHRs because I'm a
> developer too. Actually, if you didn't include firebug lite in your
> site, I'm not sure I would have opened my developer debug tool.

I should prolly take FireBug and all the debogging logging out next time.

>> I can prolly avoid that by watching for key-up and key-down events and
>> then keeping track internally (which is how my app works when talking to
>> tcl/tk). Hmm, maybe I can Just Filter Them on the client--I think the
>> modifiers state comes along with the actual key event.
> Maybe.
>
>> Note that this is not an exercise in making comp.lang.javascript happy,
>> this is an exercise in improving math proficiency by moving a
>> little-known desktop application for Windows to the Web. It seems quite
>> fast to me, and the only people who say it is slow also turn out to be
>> library haters whose reports cannot be reproduced. Plonk.
> My name is Gildas, not comp.lang.javascript and it's the first time I
> post here. So, I don't think I'm known as a "library hater".

OK. But you are actually annoyed by meaningless XHRs? I am reminded of
someone who complained that my desktop app was 40mb. When asked, he said
it had taken twenty seconds to download. And the problem is?

So you are right, people get bothered quite a bit by what I call
"machine empathy". They imagine themselves running back and forth 3000
miles carrying envelopes with XHRs inside and become outraged. Um, no,
as far as I can tell it is not worth addressing just yet, though
certainly at some point it should be addressed if only because it is
indeed unnecessary.

Thanks for the well-meant report.

> BTW, the alt key does not seem to work (maybe a french laptop keyboard
> issue) so I'm unable to type the last formula in the tutorial.

Thanks again for the report, but to anyone out there, please relax on
the bug reports. I have prominently announced that the thing is known to
be broken and incomplete and is being shared only for what does work
(which will expand in Algebra tutorial functionality before anything
else, except for tree bugs that make the tutorial forest impossible to see).

kt

--
http://www.stuckonalgebra.com
"The best Algebra tutorial program I have seen... in a class by itself."
Macworld
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Prev: Single page navigation
Next: using google visualization