From: Kenneth Tilton on
Andrew Poulos wrote:
> On 2/07/2010 6:28 PM, Kenneth Tilton wrote:
>> Asen Bozhilov wrote:

>>> I always hate stupid people like you.
>>
>> It's good to have a steady policy on important issues.
>>
>>> cljs is strange place. Here come
>>> different types of gurus ...
>>
>> What I see, in all honesty, is a sad place where a few people with an
>> axe to grind over popular JS libraries sit around bullying anyone who
>> tries to discuss (or learn about or get help with) those projects.
>
> I didn't actually believe the negative remarks about the popular JS
> libraries until I had the temerity to use one in an elearning course I
> was hired to build.
>
> "What could the harm be, its not like I'm controlling a nuclear
> reactor?", I thought.
>
> Alas, while the actual building was fairly painless the reports from the
> field started coming in about screen freezing, about data being lost,
> about slowness and delays... None of which occurred during my testing
> with the "major" browsers on the more common OS.
>
> In fact I couldn't reproduce most of the issues. In the end I had to rip
> out the library code and write my own and so now everything runs fine.

Right, which is why no one is using JS libraries but me. <sigh>

> So if you ask me about popular JS libraries my experience has been that
> they were easy enough to work with but they caused endless, and unending
> pain.
>
>> What bullies cannot handle is someone who stands up to them, a pattern
>> repeated here.
>
> Who exactly do you think is the bully here? Surely its the person
> throwing nasty comments at people who freely gave objective feedback,
> ie. you are the bully.

Yes, I am bullying the bullies. That drives them nuts.

btw, "objective feedback"? PWAUUUAUAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAA!!!!!

Come on in, we need you: http://thelaughingstockatpngs.com/

kt

--
http://www.stuckonalgebra.com
http://teamalgebra.com
From: Andrew Poulos on
On 2/07/2010 7:33 PM, Kenneth Tilton wrote:
> Andrew Poulos wrote:

>>> It's good to have a steady policy on important issues.

>>> What I see, in all honesty, is a sad place where a few people with an
>>> axe to grind over popular JS libraries sit around bullying anyone who
>>> tries to discuss (or learn about or get help with) those projects.
>>
>> I didn't actually believe the negative remarks about the popular JS
>> libraries until I had the temerity to use one in an elearning course I
>> was hired to build.
>>
>> "What could the harm be, its not like I'm controlling a nuclear
>> reactor?", I thought.
>>
>> Alas, while the actual building was fairly painless the reports from
>> the field started coming in about screen freezing, about data being
>> lost, about slowness and delays... None of which occurred during my
>> testing with the "major" browsers on the more common OS.
>>
>> In fact I couldn't reproduce most of the issues. In the end I had to
>> rip out the library code and write my own and so now everything runs
>> fine.
>
> Right, which is why no one is using JS libraries but me. <sigh>

Yes, if you can con your client and don't have to deal with the
ramifications of your decision to use a JS library then its a good way
to go.

>> So if you ask me about popular JS libraries my experience has been
>> that they were easy enough to work with but they caused endless, and
>> unending pain.
>>
>>> What bullies cannot handle is someone who stands up to them, a pattern
>>> repeated here.
>>
>> Who exactly do you think is the bully here? Surely its the person
>> throwing nasty comments at people who freely gave objective feedback,
>> ie. you are the bully.
>
> Yes, I am bullying the bullies. That drives them nuts.

On the contrary, you are the *only* bully here.

Andrew Poulos
From: Gildas on
On 1 juil, 07:19, His kennyness <kentil...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/30/2010 02:35 PM, Gildas wrote:
>
> > On 29 juin, 12:43, Kenneth Tilton<kentil...(a)gmail.com>  wrote:
> >> Now you can ask for hints (and a bunch more is fixed):
>
> >>http://teamalgebra.com/
>
> > Hi,
>
> > Do you really need to send to your server a XHR each time I hit a key
> > or click in the input control ?
>
> Have you seen the code behind the math editor? Obviously a port to JS
> would be worthwhile when there are no other problems to solve, or if the
> round-trip itself turns out to be a show-stopper. But what I am sure you
> have not considered is the typing speed of a student doing Algebra. I am
> also sure that you believe "texting" from cell phones will never catch
> on because it is so hard typing in the messages.
>
> Keep up the good work.
>
> kt
>
> <what a bunch of losers>

Couldn't you at least not send a XHR each time a shift key is
repeated ? It's quite annoying to see dozen of "blank" requests when I
try to write a number...

Also, is it *really* impossible to defer those XHR in order to group
keystrokes ?
From: Alessio Stalla on
On Jul 2, 11:33 am, Kenneth Tilton <kentil...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Andrew Poulos wrote:

> >> It's good to have a steady policy on important issues.

> >> What I see, in all honesty, is a sad place where a few people with an
> >> axe to grind over popular JS libraries sit around bullying anyone who
> >> tries to discuss (or learn about or get help with) those projects.
>
> > I didn't actually believe the negative remarks about the popular JS
> > libraries until I had the temerity to use one in an elearning course I
> > was hired to build.
>
> > "What could the harm be, its not like I'm controlling a nuclear
> > reactor?", I thought.
>
> > Alas, while the actual building was fairly painless the reports from the
> > field started coming in about screen freezing, about data being lost,
> > about slowness and delays... None of which occurred during my testing
> > with the "major" browsers on the more common OS.
>
> > In fact I couldn't reproduce most of the issues. In the end I had to rip
> > out the library code and write my own and so now everything runs fine.
>
> Right, which is why no one is using JS libraries but me. <sigh>

Which popular web applications use qooxdoo? Or smartclient?

Imho, JS libraries for "RIAs" are complete bullshit. They basically
rewrite everything down to the layout manager, not leveraging the
browser at all... and in a language, JavaScript, which is interpreted
and single-threaded! If you only use the browser as a canvas to paint
on, you'd get much better results with a Java applet. Or Flash - I'm
biased towards Java because that's what I know, but a few competing
technologies are out there for you to choose.
JS is good for lightweight scripting, not for implementing GUI
libraries.

Just my €.02.

Cheers,
Alessio
From: Kenneth Tilton on
Gildas wrote:
> On 1 juil, 07:19, His kennyness <kentil...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>> Do you really need to send to your server a XHR each time I hit a key
>>> or click in the input control ?
>> Have you seen the code behind the math editor? Obviously a port to JS
>> would be worthwhile when there are no other problems to solve, or if the
>> round-trip itself turns out to be a show-stopper. But what I am sure you
>> have not considered is the typing speed of a student doing Algebra. I am
>> also sure that you believe "texting" from cell phones will never catch
>> on because it is so hard typing in the messages.
>>
>> Keep up the good work.
>>
>> kt
>>
>> <what a bunch of losers>
>
> Couldn't you at least not send a XHR each time a shift key is
> repeated ? It's quite annoying to see dozen of "blank" requests when I
> try to write a number...
>
> Also, is it *really* impossible to defer those XHR in order to group
> keystrokes ?

Have you actually looked at what the math editor does? There are some
tutorial examples you can follow on the "Typing Tutorial" tab:

http://teamalgebra.com/

You might be able to grok why the editor needs to get involved.

btw, Why are you watching XHR requests? You are supposed to be learning
Algebra. Does your ISP charge you for each?

kt

--
http://www.stuckonalgebra.com
"The best Algebra tutorial program I have seen... in a class by itself."
Macworld
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Prev: Single page navigation
Next: using google visualization