From: Anssi Saari on
General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph(a)yahoo.com> writes:

> BTW Xilinx tools mostly work on Fedora. The only thing that doesn't work
> is FPGA Editor which requires MOTIF, Fedora uses LESTIF which doesn't
> work.

To be exact, what Fedora does not have is old Openmotif 2.2 which
provides libXm.so.3. A rude hack is installing Openmotif 2.3 and
symlinking libXm.so.3 to libXm.so.4... I got it started then, but
opening files didn't work.

I've also noticed that in ISE 10.1, one of the xilperls is linked
against libdb-4.1, which also isn't in Fedora. EDK seems to call that
one on occasion. But that's a small library and easily compiled from
source.
From: Mike Treseler on
Giorgos Tzampanakis wrote:
> I want to run Quartus on my Debian computer. I see that Altera doesn't
> officially support Debian. Has anyone here managed to run Quartus on
> Debian? What was your experience?

It works on opensuse.

-- Mike Treseler

From: Michael S on

Giorgos Tzampanakis wrote:
> I want to run Quartus on my Debian computer. I see that Altera doesn't
> officially support Debian. Has anyone here managed to run Quartus on
> Debian? What was your experience?

Quartus on Ubuntu is one of requiring themes of Altera forum
See here for example for one of the latest threads:
http://alteraforums.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5163&highlight=ubuntu
There was a wiki entry somewhere. I think they forgot to mention that
on x64 before Quartus you have to install 32-bit libraries.

Since Ubuntu is based on Debian I'd guess most things said about
Ubuntu should be applicable to other Debian variants. More or less ;)
From: Giorgos Tzampanakis on
On 2010-01-16, Michael S <already5chosen(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> Quartus on Ubuntu is one of requiring themes of Altera forum
> See here for example for one of the latest threads:
> http://alteraforums.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5163&highlight=ubuntu
> There was a wiki entry somewhere. I think they forgot to mention that
> on x64 before Quartus you have to install 32-bit libraries.
>
> Since Ubuntu is based on Debian I'd guess most things said about
> Ubuntu should be applicable to other Debian variants. More or less ;)

I think I'll try it and see what happens. However, I'm not perfectly clear
on whether the Linux version is free or not. If it's not, I'm not going to
bother going through the pain of installing it, I'll just use the Windows
version.

So, is it free? I'm talking about the Web Edition.
From: Michael S on
On Jan 17, 6:29 am, Giorgos Tzampanakis <g...(a)hw.ac.uk> wrote:
> On 2010-01-16, Michael S <already5cho...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Quartus on Ubuntu is one of requiring themes of Altera forum
> > See here for example for one of the latest threads:
> >http://alteraforums.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5163&highlight=ubuntu
> > There was a wiki entry somewhere. I think they forgot to mention that
> > on x64 before Quartus you have to install 32-bit libraries.
>
> > Since Ubuntu is based on Debian I'd guess most things said about
> > Ubuntu should be applicable to other Debian variants. More or less ;)
>
> I think I'll try it and see what happens. However, I'm not perfectly clear
> on whether the Linux version is free or not. If it's not, I'm not going to
> bother going through the pain of installing it, I'll just use the Windows
> version.
>
> So, is it free? I'm talking about the Web Edition.

AFAIK, Web Edition for Linux is still in beta. Still, I see no
technical reasons why it wouldn't work for you.
https://www.altera.com/support/software/download/altera_design/quartus_we/dnl-quartus_we.jsp