From: HT-Lab on
Hi yg,

"whygee" <yg(a)yg.yg> wrote in message news:hivfob$js9$1(a)speranza.aioe.org...
> General Schvantzkoph wrote:
>> It's a beta. The feature list looks like it's missing a ton of features
>> which they are promising in the future. I think the issue is that they are
>> transitioning from a proprietary closed source GUI toolkit to a proper open
>> source toolkit.
>
> I heard (?) that Xilinx (or Actel ?) has the same troubles
> with Windows-based software, and they are forced to use
> proprietary Win-To-Lin solutions that make portability
> and/or efficiency difficult... I'll have to dig
> further in this subject.

It might be mainwin which was popular many years ago. I remember Leonardo
Spectrum using it for its GUI-less Linux port.

Hans
www.ht-lab.com

From: Petter Gustad on
Giorgos Tzampanakis <gt67(a)hw.ac.uk> writes:

> I want to run Quartus on my Debian computer. I see that Altera doesn't
> officially support Debian. Has anyone here managed to run Quartus on
> Debian? What was your experience?

I haven't used it on Debian, but I've used it on Gentoo for years. I
also have some colleagues using Ubuntu. However, I always keep a Red
Hat system at hand (previously I had a separate system, but now I have
it running in VirtualBox). If I observe a problem I and if it's
reproducible on the RedHat system I can call Altera support.

The core of the Altera software seem to be very portable, however the
little scripts to determine the platform type etc. are written in csh
and seem quite strange to me. I've seen that the start-up script have
got confused at times, but by manually setting PATH and
LD_LIBRARY_PATH have made it work.

I was disappointed when I started Quartus 9.1 on my Gentoo and
observed this message:

rpm: Command not found.

It seems like the start-up script is using rpm to find packages, which
will of course fail on systems not using rpm packages. However, it
will still run fine.

Many vendors seem to try to figure out what kind of system their
software is running on rather than trying to check if the system
provide the *features* they require. I've seen some software which
will check /etc/redhat-release and if it does not contain what they
expect it will fail. However, making an /etc/redhad-release with the
right content will make the tool run.

I understand that they only provide support using a single distro, but
they should at least try to support multiple distros.

Petter

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
From: Brian Drummond on
On 17 Jan 2010 17:33:29 GMT, General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph(a)yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 17:27:35 +0100, whygee wrote:
>
>> General Schvantzkoph wrote:
>>> It's a beta. The feature list looks like it's missing a ton of
>>> features which they are promising in the future. I think the issue is
>>> that they are transitioning from a proprietary closed source GUI
>>> toolkit to a proper open source toolkit.
>>
>> I heard (?) that Xilinx (or Actel ?) has the same troubles with
>> Windows-based software, and they are forced to use proprietary
>> Win-To-Lin solutions that make portability and/or efficiency
>> difficult... I'll have to dig further in this subject.

>I think Xilinx has already made the transition for most of their tools,
>the only things that will never be fixed are the legacy tools like
>fpga_editor.

And much of the demonstration software relating to AppNotes, board starter kits
etc.

The strangest is one of the PCIe DMA demonstration apps, (XAPP859 or XAPP1052)
which is Windows-only, but with its GUI based on (open-source) GTK...

- Brian
From: Anssi Saari on
General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph(a)yahoo.com> writes:

> I think Xilinx has already made the transition for most of their tools,
> the only things that will never be fixed are the legacy tools like
> fpga_editor.

Just out of curiosity, since you mentioned you run Xilinx tools in
Fedora. Have you tried the 64-bit fpga_editor from ISE 11.1.04? I just
get a segmentation fault.
From: Anssi Saari on
"HT-Lab" <hans64(a)ht-lab.com> writes:

> It might be mainwin which was popular many years ago. I remember Leonardo
> Spectrum using it for its GUI-less Linux port.

I dunno, Xilinx fpga_editor and Actel's Libero use Wind/U. I remember
Mentor's Precision used Mainwin also, at least around 2005 when I last
used it.