From: David Brown on
whygee wrote:
> General Schvantzkoph wrote:
>> It's a beta. The feature list looks like it's missing a ton of
>> features which they are promising in the future. I think the issue is
>> that they are transitioning from a proprietary closed source GUI
>> toolkit to a proper open source toolkit.
>
> I heard (?) that Xilinx (or Actel ?) has the same troubles
> with Windows-based software, and they are forced to use
> proprietary Win-To-Lin solutions that make portability
> and/or efficiency difficult... I'll have to dig
> further in this subject.

I don't remember the details, but I believe that both Altera and Xilinx
used the same windows-to-linux library originally for their Linux ports,
and that that particular library was royalty based. Being royalty
based, it is very difficult to make it available freely. I guess they
had good reason for picking that library at the time, but it has always
seemed strange to me that the software should be build so strongly on
*nix style solutions (lots of perl and tcl, amongst other things) and
yet be so difficult to move to Linux.
From: Petter Gustad on
David Brown <david(a)westcontrol.removethisbit.com> writes:

> I don't remember the details, but I believe that both Altera and
> Xilinx used the same windows-to-linux library originally for their

I think Xilinx used WindU and Altera used (and still use) Mainwin
originally, at least when I used the tools on SunOS/Solaris.

Petter
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 15:06:51 +0100, Petter Gustad wrote:

> General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph(a)yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> on Fedora but does work on 64 bit CentOS5. The Quartus 9.1 GUI is very
>> buggy, at least it is the way I run it which is to ssh into a CentOS5.4
>> VM. You have to be extremely delicate when you select a file to open
>> from Quartus, dragging the mouse over a file name will cause a modal
>> box to appear which hangs the interface about 50% of the time. The only
>> solution
>
> I do all my builds using scripts, but sometimes I use the GUI to run
> signaltap, the pin editor, chip planner, timing analyzer, megawizard,
> and sopc builder. I've never experienced problems like you describe. I
> don't get any modal boxes appearing whenever I move the mouse over
> filenames in the open dialog box. I'm using Quartus 9.0 and 9.1 under
> Gentoo with the sawfish window manager. I'm running most of my builds on
> a remote machine over X11, but some builds are done locally depending
> upon the load on the machines.

My set up is as follows. My workstation and my servers are all running 64
bit Fedora 12, the workstation is running Gnome the servers run at Init
3. I'm running Quartus 9.1 on a KVM 64 bit CentOS5.4. VM (Init 3) on my
servers. I ssh into the VM and then execute Quartus from an Xemacs shell.
Quartus is the only program that gives me any trouble.
From: whygee on
David Brown wrote:
> I don't remember the details, but I believe that both Altera and Xilinx
> used the same windows-to-linux library originally for their Linux ports,
> and that that particular library was royalty based. Being royalty
> based, it is very difficult to make it available freely.
that is coherent with what I have heard from rep/sales people in tradeshows...

> I guess they
> had good reason for picking that library at the time, but it has always
> seemed strange to me that the software should be build so strongly on
> *nix style solutions (lots of perl and tcl, amongst other things) and
> yet be so difficult to move to Linux.
who knows why :-/

yg
--