From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 04:29:19 +0000, Giorgos Tzampanakis wrote:

> On 2010-01-16, Michael S <already5chosen(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Quartus on Ubuntu is one of requiring themes of Altera forum See here
>> for example for one of the latest threads:
>> http://alteraforums.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5163&highlight=ubuntu
>> There was a wiki entry somewhere. I think they forgot to mention that
>> on x64 before Quartus you have to install 32-bit libraries.
>>
>> Since Ubuntu is based on Debian I'd guess most things said about Ubuntu
>> should be applicable to other Debian variants. More or less ;)
>
> I think I'll try it and see what happens. However, I'm not perfectly
> clear on whether the Linux version is free or not. If it's not, I'm not
> going to bother going through the pain of installing it, I'll just use
> the Windows version.
>
> So, is it free? I'm talking about the Web Edition.

Yes there is a free version of Quartus for Linux however it's 32 bit
only.
From: whygee on
General Schvantzkoph wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 04:29:19 +0000, Giorgos Tzampanakis wrote:
>>
>> So, is it free? I'm talking about the Web Edition.
>
> Yes there is a free version of Quartus for Linux however it's 32 bit only.

Oh there is a free/gratis Linux version of Quartus ?
Last time I looked (recently) it was only free for ms-windows,
and Linux users had to pay full price :-(

When did the decision to treat Linux equally occur ?
Where can I find informations about this ?
are there forums, press releases or other discussions ?

yg
--
http://ygdes.com / http://yasep.org
From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 14:32:19 +0100, whygee wrote:

> General Schvantzkoph wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 04:29:19 +0000, Giorgos Tzampanakis wrote:
>>>
>>> So, is it free? I'm talking about the Web Edition.
>>
>> Yes there is a free version of Quartus for Linux however it's 32 bit
>> only.
>
> Oh there is a free/gratis Linux version of Quartus ? Last time I looked
> (recently) it was only free for ms-windows, and Linux users had to pay
> full price :-(
>
> When did the decision to treat Linux equally occur ? Where can I find
> informations about this ? are there forums, press releases or other
> discussions ?
>
> yg

It's a beta. The feature list looks like it's missing a ton of features
which they are promising in the future. I think the issue is that they
are transitioning from a proprietary closed source GUI toolkit to a
proper open source toolkit.
From: whygee on
General Schvantzkoph wrote:
> It's a beta. The feature list looks like it's missing a ton of features
> which they are promising in the future. I think the issue is that they
> are transitioning from a proprietary closed source GUI toolkit to a
> proper open source toolkit.

I heard (?) that Xilinx (or Actel ?) has the same troubles
with Windows-based software, and they are forced to use
proprietary Win-To-Lin solutions that make portability
and/or efficiency difficult... I'll have to dig
further in this subject.

OTOH, I tried SiliconBlue's SW and it seems that it was
designed with both Linux and Windows in mind from the very
beginning, and the result is convincing. Some other technical
sides are probably not what others expect, but at least
they seem to manage cross-platform tools well :-)
So I have hopes for the far future (at least the situation
evolved in the right direction these last 10 years,
not as much as expected but I can't deny the efforts).

yg
--
http://ygdes.com / http://yasep.org
From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 17:27:35 +0100, whygee wrote:

> General Schvantzkoph wrote:
>> It's a beta. The feature list looks like it's missing a ton of
>> features which they are promising in the future. I think the issue is
>> that they are transitioning from a proprietary closed source GUI
>> toolkit to a proper open source toolkit.
>
> I heard (?) that Xilinx (or Actel ?) has the same troubles with
> Windows-based software, and they are forced to use proprietary
> Win-To-Lin solutions that make portability and/or efficiency
> difficult... I'll have to dig further in this subject.
>
> OTOH, I tried SiliconBlue's SW and it seems that it was designed with
> both Linux and Windows in mind from the very beginning, and the result
> is convincing. Some other technical sides are probably not what others
> expect, but at least they seem to manage cross-platform tools well :-)
> So I have hopes for the far future (at least the situation evolved in
> the right direction these last 10 years, not as much as expected but I
> can't deny the efforts).
>
> yg

I think Xilinx has already made the transition for most of their tools,
the only things that will never be fixed are the legacy tools like
fpga_editor.