From: Giorgos Tzampanakis on
I want to run Quartus on my Debian computer. I see that Altera doesn't
officially support Debian. Has anyone here managed to run Quartus on
Debian? What was your experience?
From: whygee on
Hi,

Giorgos Tzampanakis wrote:
> I want to run Quartus on my Debian computer. I see that Altera doesn't
> officially support Debian. Has anyone here managed to run Quartus on
> Debian? What was your experience?

My experience with EDA tools on Linux is :
use RedHat (or its free sibling Fedora).
This is the same syndrom as Windows :
all the companies have a "corporate" version
of Linux distributed (and sold, and supported)
by RH so everybody uses it...
I have Debian and Slackware but am quite limited :-(
For example, Xilinx does not work well on Slackware.
I'm now configuring a brand new netbook
with Fedora and I expect many things to work there.

good luck and keep us informed,
Altera is on my install list !
yg
--
http://ygdes.com / http://yasep.org
From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 01:34:22 +0000, Giorgos Tzampanakis wrote:

> I want to run Quartus on my Debian computer. I see that Altera doesn't
> officially support Debian. Has anyone here managed to run Quartus on
> Debian? What was your experience?

It requires RHEL, it doesn't run on Fedora, don't know if it will work on
Debian. I use a CentOS5.4 VM on top of Fedora 12, that works perfectly.
From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 03:00:35 +0000, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 01:34:22 +0000, Giorgos Tzampanakis wrote:
>
>> I want to run Quartus on my Debian computer. I see that Altera doesn't
>> officially support Debian. Has anyone here managed to run Quartus on
>> Debian? What was your experience?
>
> It requires RHEL, it doesn't run on Fedora, don't know if it will work
> on Debian. I use a CentOS5.4 VM on top of Fedora 12, that works
> perfectly.

BTW Xilinx tools mostly work on Fedora. The only thing that doesn't work
is FPGA Editor which requires MOTIF, Fedora uses LESTIF which doesn't
work. I use the same CentOS VM for any Xilinx tool that won't run
directly on Fedora.
From: Anssi Saari on
Giorgos Tzampanakis <gt67(a)hw.ac.uk> writes:

> I want to run Quartus on my Debian computer. I see that Altera doesn't
> officially support Debian. Has anyone here managed to run Quartus on
> Debian? What was your experience?

Well, I've run the Quartus beta in Debian 5.0 (Lenny). It seemed to
work just fine, but I only ran a couple of small example designs from
Altera.