From: Lil' Abner on
"Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote in news:i1nks9$ani$1(a)news.eternal-
september.org:

> Lil' Abner wrote:
>> M.L. <me(a)privacy.invalid> wrote in

>>> Replace it with the free Microsoft Security Essentials.
>>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/?mkt=en-us
>>
>> And watch your computer slow down.
>
> I'd like to know the experiences of others. Is MSE really that bad?

Well, you can Google and find out for yourself. I ditched it for 6 months
or so and then I put it back, thinking maybe they'd ironed the problem out.
They hadn't, so I'm back to the free version of Avira again.
There was one process, ms???eng.exe (can't recall the exact name now) that
would eat up processor power for over a minute at a time. Office documents
were delayed 3 or 4 seconds in opening.
It's free, so I suggest you install it and judge it for yourself. I know
there's people out there who swear by it. I'm just not one of them. :-)

--
--- Everybody has a right to my opinion. ---
From: M.L. on

>>> Replace it with the free Microsoft Security Essentials.
>>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/?mkt=en-us
>>
>> And watch your computer slow down.
>
>I'd like to know the experiences of others. Is MSE really that bad?

No problems with MSSE on my Vista system.
From: James Morrow on
In article <Xns9DB5468D52166somewhere(a)69.16.185.250>,
whoever(a)wherever.invalid says...
<snip>

> For what it's worth, Avira's Anti-Vir or Avast are the two I recommend if
> you are looking for a free AV program. Antivir is the more effective of the
> two, but Avast is more user friendly for newbies to deal with.

<snip>

Microsoft updates every eight hours, Avast! updates every four hours
and it is FREE. Avira's Anti-Vir has excellent detection but the update
server is generally known to be slow.

--
James E. Morrow
Email to: jamesemorrow(a)email.com
From: Ron on
On Jul 13, 9:54 pm, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nosp...(a)Verizon.Net>
wrote:
> From: "Sam Spade" <sloopokes...(a)opto.net>
>
> | Just purchased Dell computer Windows 7 Home (64) and with it came McAfee.
> | Thought Windows 7 had anti virus but evidently not. Any feedback on McAfee?
> | Sam
>
> Replace it with Avira AntiVir.

Reformatted this computer with W7 back in February and Avira 10
wouldn't auto update. Tried it again last month and it still wouldn't
update. So, I'm still using Avira 9.

From: Lil' Abner on
James Morrow <jamesemorrow(a)email.com> wrote in

> In article <Xns9DB5468D52166somewhere(a)69.16.185.250>,
> whoever(a)wherever.invalid says...
><snip>
>
>> For what it's worth, Avira's Anti-Vir or Avast are the two I
>> recommend if you are looking for a free AV program. Antivir is the
>> more effective of the two, but Avast is more user friendly for
>> newbies to deal with.
>>

><snip>
>
> Microsoft updates every eight hours, Avast! updates every four hours
> and it is FREE. Avira's Anti-Vir has excellent detection but the
> update server is generally known to be slow.

There were problems there for a while, But I've had no problem with slow
updates for months now.

--
--- Everybody has a right to my opinion. ---