From: Lil' Abner on
Ron <BigELilE05(a)msn.com> wrote in

> On Jul 13, 9:54�pm, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nosp...(a)Verizon.Net>
> wrote:
>> From: "Sam Spade" <sloopokes...(a)opto.net>
>>
>> | Just purchased Dell computer Windows 7 Home (64) and with it came
>> | McAfe
> e.
>> | Thought Windows 7 had anti virus but evidently not. Any feedback on
>> | McA
> fee?
>> | Sam
>>
>> Replace it with Avira AntiVir.
>
> Reformatted this computer with W7 back in February and Avira 10
> wouldn't auto update. Tried it again last month and it still wouldn't
> update. So, I'm still using Avira 9.

I dual boot Windows XP and Windows 7 and have Avira 10 in both installs. I
use XP most all the time, but the few times I go into Windows 7, Avira
updates itself during the first few minutes.
Windows 7 has Vista all beat to hell, but I still have software and
hardware issues. My computer is Windows 7 compatible but *I'm* not quite
yet... :-)

--
--- Everybody has a right to my opinion. ---
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Lil' Abner" <blvstk(a)dogpatch.com>

| James Morrow <jamesemorrow(a)email.com> wrote in

>> In article <Xns9DB5468D52166somewhere(a)69.16.185.250>,
>> whoever(a)wherever.invalid says...
>><snip>

>>> For what it's worth, Avira's Anti-Vir or Avast are the two I
>>> recommend if you are looking for a free AV program. Antivir is the
>>> more effective of the two, but Avast is more user friendly for
>>> newbies to deal with.

>><snip>

>> Microsoft updates every eight hours, Avast! updates every four hours
>> and it is FREE. Avira's Anti-Vir has excellent detection but the
>> update server is generally known to be slow.

| There were problems there for a while, But I've had no problem with slow
| updates for months now.

Same here...

--
Dave

From: David Kaye on
"Sam Spade" <sloopokespam(a)opto.net> wrote:
>Just purchased Dell computer Windows 7 Home (64) and with it came McAfee.
>Thought Windows 7 had anti virus but evidently not. Any feedback on McAfee?
>Sam

Ditch it.

Go to the Microsoft website and download Security Essentials instead.

From: David Kaye on
"Lil' Abner" <blvstk(a)dogpatch.com> wrote:

>And watch your computer slow down.

I've installed MSSE on several dozen computers. It only slowed down one. It
was running a Pentium 3. I put in Avast instead and that works fine. Other
computers have had no problem. I'm not sure why MSSE bogged down on the one
computer, though.

From: Bit Twister on
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 21:19:32 +0200, FredW wrote:

>>Replace it with the free Microsoft Security Essentials.
>>
>>http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/?mkt=en-us
>
> I just read that Microsoft considers an update every 8 hours sufficient.

Heheheh, what do you expect from a company who does not work on known
exploits until it is in the wild.

> I have one av-application updating every hour
> and one av-application updating every two hours.
>
> Silly guys at Microsoft.
> ;-)

With a new malware generated every 20 seconds, you are getting behind
as you read this reply. Not to mention the 1 to 6 weeks it takes AV
vendors to catch the new malware for analysis, coding, testing, and
roll out to the masses.

Read about the latest malware fire drill here.
http://isc.sans.edu/diary.html?storyid=9190

Hard to believe this one spreads from one company network to another by just
usb drives.