From: David Kaye on
FredW <fredw(a)blackholespam.net> wrote:

>Malware does not wait for you to call them "stupid" and wait for another
>24 hours to update your definitions.

I deal with malware professionally. I have hundreds of clients. Turning off
unneeded services, using a firewall, instructing your users not to download
suspicious stuff, and adhering to the Windows and Google warning notices about
suspicious websites are your best defense.

What's more, I give the only warrantee of its kind in the business: I give a
60 day warrantee that the malware won't come back after I've fixed a client's
computer. And that's in all my advertising. I've only had to eat it about 7
or 8 times in the past 5 years.

I reiterate that updating definition files frequently is a stupid idea that is
only going to bog down the Internet. It's bad enough that there are DoS
attacks going on and zombie bots running rampant attacking particular
addresses, resulting in slowdowns. To have perfectly good machines polling
and polling and polling for definitions that may not even be needed is the
ultimate in dumbness.

My latest MSSE update on this machine was 7/20 at 2:15am. That's good enough
for me, and I don't have malware issues. What's more, I've had no malware on
this computer in the 3 years I've been running it. Sure, there've been
attempts, but they're thwarted before they get anywhere. I've used Avast,
AVG, and MSSE for the most part.

From: baynole2 on
On Jul 15, 7:51 pm, Ron <BigELil...(a)msn.com> wrote:
> On Jul 13, 9:54 pm, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nosp...(a)Verizon.Net>
> wrote:
>
> > From: "Sam Spade" <sloopokes...(a)opto.net>
>
> > | Just purchased Dell computer Windows 7 Home (64) and with it came McAfee.
> > | Thought Windows 7 had anti virus but evidently not. Any feedback on McAfee?
> > | Sam
>
> > Replace it with Avira AntiVir.
>
> Reformatted this computer with W7 back in February and Avira 10
> wouldn't auto update. Tried it again last month and it still wouldn't
> update. So, I'm still using Avira 9.

I have always had problems getting AntiVir to update when I have used
it in the past. I have been going with Avast for a couple years now
and like it.
From: Ron on
On Jul 31, 11:18 am, "bayno...(a)yahoo.com" <bayn...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 15, 7:51 pm, Ron <BigELil...(a)msn.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jul 13, 9:54 pm, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nosp...(a)Verizon.Net>
> > wrote:
>
> > > From: "Sam Spade" <sloopokes...(a)opto.net>

> > > Replace it with Avira AntiVir.
>
> > Reformatted this computer with W7 back in February and Avira 10
> > wouldn't auto update. Tried it again last month and it still wouldn't
> > update. So, I'm still using Avira 9.
>
> I have always had problems getting AntiVir to update when I have used
> it in the past. I have been going with Avast for a couple years now
> and like it.

I hate Avast! because it looks like a car stereo and not very user
friendly unless they have changed it since I last tried it many yrs
ago.
From: Han on
"baynole2(a)yahoo.com" <baynole(a)gmail.com> wrote in news:8596f123-e198-47ca-
a368-7e25c36817e2(a)f33g2000yqe.googlegroups.com:

> I have always had problems getting AntiVir to update when I have used
> it in the past. I have been going with Avast for a couple years now
> and like it.

I have no problems with Avira updating, most of the time. When there is no
internet connection, it does give an error, but I believe that is normal.

--
Best regards
Han
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "baynole2(a)yahoo.com" <baynole(a)gmail.com>

| I have always had problems getting AntiVir to update when I have used
| it in the past. I have been going with Avast for a couple years now
| and like it.

That problem was fixed.

--
Dave