From: Wolf K on
On 31/05/2010 10:07, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Wolf K wrote:
[...]
>> I can't really calculate the rate of infection. Haven't had one for
>> six weeks, and that was a minor trojan, which had no observable
>> effect on the system. Prior to that nothing found since before
>> Christmas. So "less than one per week" is, um, technically correct.
>> ;-)
>
> Aha. If your computer is actually getting infected even as seldom as
> "once every six weeks" then I would suggest you are doing something
> wrong. With lack of details, I couldn't hazard a guess why, other than
> you don't practice 'safe hex.'

Well, I use NoScript to select which JS objects will run, but even legit
websites are increasingly infected with nasties. The last couple of
weeks I've noticed that some sites will no longer run without
google-analytics allowed. Bah! FWIW, that infection was found by SAS,
but not by the others.

[...]
> Have you tried those couple of apps with Ubuntu and Wine?
> According to: http://www.pmview.com/sysreq.html
> the app doesn't appear to be "Windows-intensive" as it runs on all
> Windows versions from 95 to the present.

Thanks for the suggestion, Wine is the Next Big Step. ;-)

wolf k.

From: Beauregard T. Shagnasty on
Wolf K wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> Wolf K wrote:
> [...]
>>> I can't really calculate the rate of infection. Haven't had one for
>>> six weeks, and that was a minor trojan, which had no observable
>>> effect on the system. Prior to that nothing found since before
>>> Christmas. So "less than one per week" is, um, technically correct.
>>> ;-)
>>
>> Aha. If your computer is actually getting infected even as seldom as
>> "once every six weeks" then I would suggest you are doing something
>> wrong. With lack of details, I couldn't hazard a guess why, other
>> than you don't practice 'safe hex.'
>
> Well, I use NoScript to select which JS objects will run, but even
> legit websites are increasingly infected with nasties.

This in Firefox? Hmm, without some samples it would be difficult to
analyze further...

> The last couple of weeks I've noticed that some sites will no longer
> run without google-analytics allowed. Bah! FWIW, that infection was
> found by SAS, but not by the others.

I haven't run into any site like that. The google-analytics domains
(along with the google ad servers) have been in my hosts file for years.

> [...]
>> Have you tried those couple of apps with Ubuntu and Wine?
>> According to: http://www.pmview.com/sysreq.html
>> the app doesn't appear to be "Windows-intensive" as it runs on all
>> Windows versions from 95 to the present.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, Wine is the Next Big Step. ;-)

Good idea to give it a try. Then you could eschew the, um, the virus
magnet. <g>

--
-bts
From: David Kaye on
"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.nony.mous(a)example.invalid> wrote:

>Aha. If your computer is actually getting infected even as seldom as
>"once every six weeks" then I would suggest you are doing something
>wrong. With lack of details, I couldn't hazard a guess why, other than
>you don't practice 'safe hex.'

That's got to be it. I have 5 computers running versions of Windows, and one
acts as a honeypot. I seldom get anything. I run root scans and whatnot just
to see and my machines are clean. But I also don't download everything people
want me to download, either.