From: Ian Rawlings on
On 2008-11-28, Mike Scott <usenet.11(a)spam.stopper.scottsonline.org.uk> wrote:

> Is it?
>
> I've a mini-itx sitting next to me - footprint 2.5inch x 12inch, almost
> totally quiet, power consumption probably around 10-15 watts. The screen
> is bigger with a footprint of 17x6 inch - but there are certain
> technical limitations to making that much smaller :-)

Yes size limitations are a problem, as the computer has to be able to
move about, she uses it downstairs but sometimes wants to print, and
that's upstairs in the guest room. She also doesn't just use it in
the lounge, but takes it into the dining room when she's doing the
bank accounts so she can lay the paperwork out on the table. So it
needs to be small, light, portable, and a mini-itx and all the
trappings just isn't.

http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/
From: F8BOE on
Ian Rawlings wrote:

> Wotcher all, talk of the Asuses has got me wondering. Is the linux
> install fairly granny friendly? My mum's in her 60s and not
> particularly adept with computers (to put it mildly), I was thinking
> of getting a linux version of the Eeeeee and seeing if it's suitable
> for her, and if not, using it for myself. I get the impression it
> comes with a front-end that's fairly captive and simple to use,
> probably more so than a standard windows desktop. Her needs are very
> simple, web browsing, copying photos off a camera and printing them
> (rarely), emails (using pop3) and writing the occasional letter. Can
> this be done without much faff on the basic EEeEeE user interface thing?

No. There's a real need to add a magnifying glass and an external keyboard.
From: Daniel James on
In article news:<slrngiucei.jhj.news06(a)desktop.tarcus.org.uk>, Ian
Rawlings wrote:
> She only really uses the internet to access her bank accounts and look
> the occasional thing up, maybe an hour or so of usage per week!

That's probably be OK on a 900/901/804/1000 ... the 701 is just
sufficiently annoying in its lack of vertical screen height (480px) that
I can only really recommend it as a second (er ... sixth) PC. It's great
for that, though!

I know the 701 isn't the model you're not planning on getting, but it's
the only one I have experience of.

> I'm hoping it'll be fairly robust, and what with the lack of virus
> issues, should stay that way.

It has ClamAV ... as standard, IIRC, but available through synaptic
(which is standard) if not.

The biggest problem will be the smallness of the screen and keyboard,
but if she can manage those I'd say you have a winner.

Cheers,
Daniel.

From: Mike Scott on
Ian Rawlings wrote:
> On 2008-11-28, Mike Scott <usenet.11(a)spam.stopper.scottsonline.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> Is it?
>>
>> I've a mini-itx sitting next to me - footprint 2.5inch x 12inch, almost
>> totally quiet, power consumption probably around 10-15 watts. The screen
>> is bigger with a footprint of 17x6 inch - but there are certain
>> technical limitations to making that much smaller :-)
>
> Yes size limitations are a problem, as the computer has to be able to
> move about, she uses it downstairs but sometimes wants to print, and
> that's upstairs in the guest room. She also doesn't just use it in
> the lounge, but takes it into the dining room when she's doing the
> bank accounts so she can lay the paperwork out on the table. So it
> needs to be small, light, portable, and a mini-itx and all the
> trappings just isn't.

Now, there, methinks, you are shifting the goal posts. You didn't
mention it had to be transportable.

On a related note, I see from a toys-r-us flyer that they offer two
linux-based eee pc machines. Can't be too bad a thing having a linux
machine in a high street shop. Shame they describe XP as an 'upgrade'
option though.

From: Ian Rawlings on
On 2008-11-28, F8BOE <f8boe(a)bluemail.ch> wrote:

> No. There's a real need to add a magnifying glass and an external keyboard.

I've bought one now and it is rather fiddly. I bought it from PC
World who have a 7-day return deal even if it's been used (they have
facilities to scrub them back to standard state) so I'll be taking it
out to see her tomorrow. I do think it's likely to have too small a
keyboard, but she does type with two fingers, which is odd as she used
to be a typist!