From: Bruce Stephens on
Ian Rawlings <news06(a)tarcus.org.uk> writes:

> On 2008-12-02, Theo Markettos <theom+news(a)chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> you can do a lot of damage by deleting C:\WINDOWS
>
> I think the benefits outweigh the disadvantages ;-)

Probably. The Xandros Asus Eee PCs are set up using unionfs, so
(provided you don't go out of your way) you can always get back to the
original root fs, since normally /.ro (which contains the initial
install) is mounted R/O.

It's a neat feature, though it does mean that updating stuff uses more
storage (since all the changes you make end up in /.rw). Similarly
removing packages you don't want doesn't get you any space (it just
marks the files as deleted in /.rw).
From: Folderol on
On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 14:56:42 +0000
Ian Rawlings <news06(a)tarcus.org.uk> wrote:

> On 2008-12-02, Theo Markettos <theom+news(a)chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > you can do a lot of damage by deleting C:\WINDOWS
>
> I think the benefits outweigh the disadvantages ;-)

Damn! beat me to it :)

--
Will J G
From: Ian Rawlings on
On 2008-12-02, Folderol <folderol(a)ukfsn.org> wrote:

> Damn! beat me to it :)

mehehe...

Incidentally, I see that there's a new EEeeeee coming out, a 901 with
bigger battery, larger and faster SSD, and built-in 3G modem, however
so far it's not quite yet available in this country other than via
ebay, and there's only a windows version so far.

So for now I've put off my plans on getting a 901 to replace the 900 I
took back yesterday, not much point buying one of those if a higher
spec one is coming. Shame no linux version announced in any territory
yet though.

http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/
From: Folderol on
On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 19:51:59 +0000
Ian Rawlings <news06(a)tarcus.org.uk> wrote:

> On 2008-12-02, Folderol <folderol(a)ukfsn.org> wrote:
>
> > Damn! beat me to it :)
>
> mehehe...
>
> Incidentally, I see that there's a new EEeeeee coming out, a 901 with
> bigger battery, larger and faster SSD, and built-in 3G modem, however
> so far it's not quite yet available in this country other than via
> ebay, and there's only a windows version so far.
>
> So for now I've put off my plans on getting a 901 to replace the 900 I
> took back yesterday, not much point buying one of those if a higher
> spec one is coming. Shame no linux version announced in any territory
> yet though.

I've been teetering on the brink of buying a 901 for a while now, but
recently heard that unspecified manufacturers were working on arm-based
netbooks (which would almost *have* to run linux), so I'm wondering if
I should keep my money in my pocket for now.

--
Will J G
From: Ian Rawlings on
On 2008-12-02, Folderol <folderol(a)ukfsn.org> wrote:

> I've been teetering on the brink of buying a 901 for a while now, but
> recently heard that unspecified manufacturers were working on arm-based
> netbooks (which would almost *have* to run linux), so I'm wondering if
> I should keep my money in my pocket for now.

Well, the Pandora is a dual-ARM based tiny netbook, probably too small
for serious use though. Problem is you'll wait forever if you keep
waiting for the next update, so I'm sticking with cheap linux-based
laptops with solid-state discs and right now that's the Eee. An
arm-based netbook would quite probably run windows mobile variations,
people would be more comfortable with that than a linux distro so
don't count on any new devices running linux. The Eee has a
reasonable community behind it too which is a plus although a lot of
the users seem to be running windows.

Personally I'll wait until next year for the 901 Go running linux, and
a Nokia N97 (probably second half of the year).