From: Ian Rawlings on
On 2008-11-28, Daniel James <wastebasket(a)nospam.aaisp.org> wrote:

> The biggest problem will be the smallness of the screen and keyboard,
> but if she can manage those I'd say you have a winner.

I've got a 900 at the moment, on approval from PC World, I quite like
it so far although it wasn't particularly happy about my
30-character-long password on my WPA network. Took me about 15
minutes to persuade it to connect.

If it's too small I'll review whether I want one myself (I've got a
Pandora on the way), and if not I'll take it back to PC World.

http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/
From: Ian Rawlings on
On 2008-11-28, Ian Rawlings <news06(a)tarcus.org.uk> wrote:

> If it's too small I'll review whether I want one myself (I've got a
> Pandora on the way), and if not I'll take it back to PC World.

Hmm, it's a tad slow on video playback, can't handle 720x576 mp4 files
without jerking, my Pentium-M 900MHz can handle those files with ease
using VLC on windows, VLC on this Eee can't handle it no matter how I
fiddle with the parameters. The built-in player won't even play the
video at all.

Mind you the main reason I bought this one was because it was
available today from PC World, if my mum doesn't want it, I'll take it
back and go for a higher spec one from a cheaper source.

From: Ian Rawlings on
On 2008-11-28, Ian Rawlings <news06(a)tarcus.org.uk> wrote:

> Hmm, it's a tad slow on video playback, can't handle 720x576 mp4 files
> without jerking, my Pentium-M 900MHz can handle those files with ease
> using VLC on windows, VLC on this Eee can't handle it no matter how I
> fiddle with the parameters.

Well, I'm not sure what I've changed, but it's playing them back
pretty well now, I think it was a few changes on the output module,
and possibly some codec updates in mplayer although I'm not sure that
would have changed VLC's playback. Never mind, it's now playing back
mp4 h.264 files using about 50% of the CPU. mplayer still won't play
them.

From: Darren Salt on
I demand that Ian Rawlings may or may not have written...

> On 2008-11-28, Daniel James <wastebasket(a)nospam.aaisp.org> wrote:
>> The biggest problem will be the smallness of the screen and keyboard,
>> but if she can manage those I'd say you have a winner.

> I've got a 900 at the moment, on approval from PC World, I quite like it so
> far although it wasn't particularly happy about my 30-character-long
> password on my WPA network. Took me about 15 minutes to persuade it to
> connect.

With my 901, I find that WPA2 with TKIP works; WPA2 with CCMP doesn't, though
I think that this is down to rt2860sta not supporting it.

> If it's too small I'll review whether I want one myself (I've got a
> Pandora on the way), and if not I'll take it back to PC World.

You could always get a 1000... ;-)

| + Output *more* particulate pollutants. BUFFER AGAINST GLOBAL WARMING.

I don't suffer from insanity: I enjoy every minute of it.
From: Daniel James on
In article news:<slrngj0epr.jhj.news06(a)desktop.tarcus.org.uk>, Ian
Rawlings wrote:
> Hmm, it's a tad slow on video playback, can't handle 720x576 mp4 files
> without jerking, my Pentium-M 900MHz can handle those files with ease
> using VLC on windows

Really?

My 701 plays commercial DVDs (from a USB DVD drive) with no apparent
problems (and I don't care about any that aren't apparent) with the
built-in player.

TBH I wasn't expecting that. I was just checking to see that the drive
was working OK and put in the first DVD that came to hand (expecting to
see a file structure, if nothing else) and it just auto-played.

A 901 with an Atom will be faster than your 900 with its Celery.

Cheers,
Daniel.