From: Ian Rawlings on
On 2008-12-01, Daniel James <wastebasket(a)nospam.aaisp.org> wrote:

> I'm sure it's still taught, but apparently not in schools. SWMBO learnt
> to touch-type at secondary school but none of our various nipots or
> offsprogs of friends seem to have the opportunity. I'm sure it's still
> taught at secretarial colleges and the like.

I was taught to touchtype at an electronics college, trained up to be
a radio officer on merchant navy vessels, touch-typing apparently
being a requirement, but didn't have to do morse code unless I went on
to do the actual going-to-sea option.

Most seem to do OK-ish but many people are amazed at the speed I can
type at, however what they don't notice is that most of the rattling
keypresses are on the delete key ;-)

http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/
From: Owain on
Ian Rawlings wrote:
> Most seem to do OK-ish but many people are amazed at the speed I can
> type at, however what they don't notice is that most of the rattling
> keypresses are on the delete key ;-)

When I 'learnt' to type at college the speed test was done with a carbon
copy so that corrections with the corrector ribbon were counted. -5
characters for each error, IIRC.

Owain

From: Ian Rawlings on
On 2008-12-01, Owain <owain47125(a)stirlingcity.coo.uk> wrote:

> When I 'learnt' to type at college the speed test was done with a carbon
> copy so that corrections with the corrector ribbon were counted. -5
> characters for each error, IIRC.

When I learned, it was on an electronic typewriter, slightly odd as
computers were far more common at the time, and even my home computer
of the time (Acorn Archimedes) had a full-sized keyboard. The college
also had a fair few computers available.

I tried typing on a manual typewriter a little while ago, and soon got
sore fingers, those keys were tiny and the spaces between them just
right for getting my fingers wedged into!

From: Darren Salt on
I demand that Martin Gregorie may or may not have written...

> On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 16:17:28 +0000, Daniel James wrote:
>> Now that just about everyone has access to a PC and needs that skill they
>> don't seem to teach it anyone any more.

> Does that mean that touch typing is a dieing art?

Wouldn't know. :-)

> I taught myself to type, initially on ASR-33 Teletypes and a Flexowriter
> since those was the only keyboards available at the time, and in
> consequence am a strictly two finger typist. I believe this is pretty
> common among self-taught typists, with touch-typing being almost a hall-
> mark of people who have attended typing classes.

Curious. I'm something of a five-fingered typist, but now that I think about
it I find myself becoming a five-fingered typoist.

Well, seven fingers if you count Shift key usage, I suppose...

[snip]
| + RIPA NOTICE: NO CONSENT GIVEN FOR INTERCEPTION OF MESSAGE TRANSMISSION

Beware of friends who are false and deceitful.
From: Will Kemp on
Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 16:17:28 +0000, Daniel James wrote:
>
>> Now that just about everyone has access to a PC and needs that skill
>> they don't seem to teach it anyone any more.
>>
> Does that mean that touch typing is a dieing art?
>
> I taught myself to type, initially on ASR-33 Teletypes and a Flexowriter
> since those was the only keyboards available at the time, and in
> consequence am a strictly two finger typist. I believe this is pretty
> common among self-taught typists, with touch-typing being almost a hall-
> mark of people who have attended typing classes.

I taught myself to touch type back in about 83, when i got an electronic
(daisywheel) typewriter. Before that, i'd used a manual, and two-finger
typing wasn't a problem - if you touched the key next to the one you
were typing, not much happened, except perhaps a jam up. But with the
electronic typewriter, both letters printed and you had to correct it,
which wasn't a big deal because it had a backspace key which corrected
it with correcting tape, but the tape was expensive and it slowed you
down. So i got a book from the library and taught myself to touch type.
I never bothered teaching myself the numbers though, which i rather
regret, but still can't be bothered doing!

I can type about 60wpm i think, maybe a bit faster.

Nowadays, of course, it's even easier - you can download touchtyping
tutor software. I had to find good one for a mate a few months back and
letterchase ( http://letterchase.com ) seemed to be the best one i could
find. He certainly found it easy to learn with. You have to pay if you
want to use it for more than 30 days, but it's not much.

I'd definitely recommend anyone who uses computers a lot to learn to
touchtype. It makes life so much easier.