From: Ian Rawlings on
On 2008-11-29, Daniel James <wastebasket(a)nospam.aaisp.org> wrote:

> My 701 plays commercial DVDs (from a USB DVD drive) with no apparent
> problems (and I don't care about any that aren't apparent) with the
> built-in player.

DVD doesn't use mp4 with h.264 encoding, which is more processor
intensive than mpeg-2 is on both playback and encoding.

However whatever it was that was causing the slowdown has been sorted,
mostly accidentally. My target market, i.e. my mum, has however
flatly refused the Eee on the basis of the size, it's too small for
her. I'll take it back to the shop tomorrow or Monday and will await
my Pandora, and see if I want an Eee in addition to that.

http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/sets/
From: Daniel James on
In article news:<slrngj375r.jhj.news06(a)desktop.tarcus.org.uk>, Ian
Rawlings wrote:
> DVD doesn't use mp4 with h.264 encoding, which is more processor
> intensive than mpeg-2 is on both playback and encoding.

That's true. I was worrying more about how the video system dealt with
the stream after it had been decoded, but you're right that the
decoding may be the significant factor.

> My target market, i.e. my mum, has however flatly refused the Eee
> on the basis of the size, it's too small for her.

It's difficult ... she wants compact but not small! TBH I'm not
surprised she found it too small, but I'm sure it was a worthwhile
experiment. SWMBO tried to get her grandmother (now sadly deceased, but
then 103) online with a full-size Tosh laptop with 13"+ screen and it
took a lot of tweaking to get the screen displaying characters with
enough size and enough contrast. Strangely the thing she found hardest
was typing as she'd never seen a QWERTY keyboard before. She'd grown up
before the era in which young ladies were taught typing at school as an
essential career skill ... hard to remember there was such a time ...

Now that just about everyone has access to a PC and needs that skill
they don't seem to teach it anyone any more.

Cheers,
Daniel.

From: Martin Gregorie on
On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 16:17:28 +0000, Daniel James wrote:

> Now that just about everyone has access to a PC and needs that skill
> they don't seem to teach it anyone any more.

Does that mean that touch typing is a dieing art?

I taught myself to type, initially on ASR-33 Teletypes and a Flexowriter
since those was the only keyboards available at the time, and in
consequence am a strictly two finger typist. I believe this is pretty
common among self-taught typists, with touch-typing being almost a hall-
mark of people who have attended typing classes.

I'm really curious to know if this impression is correct.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: Whiskers on
On 2008-11-30, Martin Gregorie <martin(a)see.sig.for.address.invalid> wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 16:17:28 +0000, Daniel James wrote:
>

>> Now that just about everyone has access to a PC and needs that skill
>> they don't seem to teach it anyone any more.
>>
> Does that mean that touch typing is a dieing art?
>
> I taught myself to type, initially on ASR-33 Teletypes and a Flexowriter
> since those was the only keyboards available at the time, and in
> consequence am a strictly two finger typist. I believe this is pretty
> common among self-taught typists, with touch-typing being almost a hall-
> mark of people who have attended typing classes.
>
> I'm really curious to know if this impression is correct.

I think the ability to type accurately and quickly without being able to
see the keyboard, is the hallmark of a genuine touch-typist. I can't do
that; but I can type rapidly, albeit erratically and with sub-optimal
accuracy, using all my fingers and thumbs - as long as I can see the keys
to get my fingers back in the right place when they wander! My ability to
use my fingers independently of each other probably derives from childhood
piano lessons.

Touch-typing was a very valuable skill in the days of manual type-writers
and no "correcting fluid"; indeed, one could build a career on it. Now
that we have spelling-checkers and can over-type errors without leaving a
trace in our electronic medium, that skill is useful but not, for most
people, worth months of very boring disciplined classes to acquire.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
From: Dave Liquorice on
On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 17:53:30 +0000, Whiskers wrote:

>>> Now that just about everyone has access to a PC and needs that skill
>>> they don't seem to teach it anyone any more.

Not taught at primary school that's for sure but they all have access to
and use computers. I feel that it ought to be taught at least in some
basic form but I'm not sure that 5 or 6 year olds have the language abilty
for it.

>> Does that mean that touch typing is a dieing art?
>
> I think the ability to type accurately and quickly without being able to
> see the keyboard, is the hallmark of a genuine touch-typist.

Agreed that's why the F and J keys have tactile mark as these are the
"home" keys for the index finger of each hand. A real touch typist watches
the screen not the keys, corrects as they go along and rattles through at
well over 60 words per minute all without taking their eyes of the screen.

I'm two fingers and thumb on my right hand and one finger on my left. I
have a copy of Mavis Beacon somehere and did try to follow it but it is
pretty tedious, probably because I have a lot of bad habits to break, the
hardest being not to look at the keys.

--
Cheers
Dave.