From: LOL! on
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 15:02:00 -0400, "Neil Harrington" <nobody(a)homehere.net>
wrote:

>Yes, the 10x zoom is nice, provided it works well. I had (very briefly) a
>Coolpix S10 which also had a 10x zoom, nice lens except for its horribly
>unreliable autofocus at the longer focal lengths, which made it practically
>useless. I promptly returned it for that reason

Good. Then it eventually fell into the hands of someone that knows how to
use cameras properly.

Contrast detection focusing depends on the camera being able to latch onto
any contrasting edges. When fools like you wildly wave around a long
focal-length lens and then expect the camera to compensate for your lack of
coordination and imbecility it won't be able to focus.

Thanks for proving to the world what a moronic, inept, imbecilic, and
uncoordinated buffoon that you are. Not to mention providing a "refurb"
priced camera to someone that probably has far more talent than you will
ever have in 10 lifetimes.

LOL!

From: Jane Galt on
"David J Taylor" <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote :

> "Jane Galt" <Jane_G(a)gulch.xyz> wrote in message
>> Looking some more, the S90 is also tempting, so it's between the
>>
>> S90 $350
>> S8000 $250
>> and SD4000IS $350
>>
>> It would stretch the budget for the more expensive two ( $350 street
>> price )
>> if it would bring $100 more joy to my shooting, but what's a credit card
>> for?
>> :)
>>

>> --
>> - Jane Galt
>
> If you're paying that much you might as well get a DSLR - the larger
> sensor will make for better low-light performance.
>
> David

Its for my purse, dont want something big that I gotta carry separately.

--
- Jane Galt
From: Jane Galt on
tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote :

> On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 14:50:08 +0100, "David J Taylor"
><david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>
>>"Jane Galt" <Jane_G(a)gulch.xyz> wrote in message
>>> Looking some more, the S90 is also tempting, so it's between the
>>>
>>> S90 $350
>>> S8000 $250
>>> and SD4000IS $350
>>>
>>> It would stretch the budget for the more expensive two ( $350 street
>>> price )
>>> if it would bring $100 more joy to my shooting, but what's a credit
card
>>> for?
>>> :)
>>>

>>> --
>>> - Jane Galt
>>
>>If you're paying that much you might as well get a DSLR - the larger
>>sensor will make for better low-light performance.
>>
> Jane specified in her first post that she wanted a "purse-sized"
> camera. No dslr is truly purse-sized.
>
> I can see why someone wants a pocket-sized or purse-sized camera to
> carry around. There are times you want to have a camera available but
> not carry around a large dslr.

Exactly. I'd love to have a nice Nikon DSLR, so I could have a polarizing
lens and all, but it IS for my purse and I already have a bunch of stuff in
there, including the XD-45 ACP, so it's already pretty full and slightly
heavy. ;-)

--
- Jane Galt
From: Jane Galt on
"David J Taylor" <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote :

>> Jane specified in her first post that she wanted a "purse-sized"
>> camera. No dslr is truly purse-sized.
>
> Agreed. Interesting to see how the higher-price small-sensor cameras can
> be similar in price to the lower-end DSLRs, though.

Their features are starting to approach them too, are they not?

Imagine a Nikon DSLR the size of a SD4000IS, but with interchangeable Nikor
lenses, filters etc. WHOA!

--
- Jane Galt
From: Jane Galt on
"Neil Harrington" <nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote :

> "Jane Galt" <Jane_G(a)gulch.xyz> wrote in message
>> Looking some more, the S90 is also tempting, so it's between the
>>
>> S90 $350
>> S8000 $250
>> and SD4000IS $350
>>
>> It would stretch the budget for the more expensive two ( $350 street
>> price )
>> if it would bring $100 more joy to my shooting, but what's a credit
>> card for?
>> :)
>
> The two Canons you mention look sort of interesting, though if I were
> buying a Powershot I'd go the extra $100 for a G11.

I mentioned that I could spring the extra from the $250 price of the S8000
to the SD4000IS. Now you're talking $450. :) Creeping price here. LOL

> I don't know if
> you'd consider the G11 purse sized, however.

Not so much?

I looked up the S90, the S8000 and the SD4000IS:

S90 3.9 x 2.3 x 1.2 6.2 OZ.
S8000 4.1 x 2.3 x 1.1 6.5 OZ.
SD4000IS 3.9 x 2.1 x .9 6.1 OZ.

G11 4.4 x 3 x 1.9 12.5 OZ.

<sigh> The purse IS kinda big already, to hold the size and weight of the
XD-45 ACP and the 14 rounds of JHP. Hmmm....

Is the G11 THAT much better than the other 3?
( thinking this is gonna cost me more... )

At what point will I need to start moving other stuff out of the purse to
make room for it?

I like the size of the Cyber-Shot DSC-S750 that I have in there now. It's
in a little hard shell case. It just doesn't take very sharp pictures, and
after all, what's a camera for if not that? Oh and the video it takes are
tiny. And I love the idea of taking HD stills and video...

IOW I want a new purse camera for my birthday. :-)

--
- Jane Galt